Rate my first DSLR Shot that I consider good.

SkyCaptain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello people. So after reading and knowing more about DSLR cameras since this is my first one, I had been practicing for 3 complete days to take random photos of people and landscape, playing with aperture and shutter settings on the manual mode. And I was able to take many photos, some of which are rubbish, and the others are somehow good.

I'd like to know what do you give the photo below out of 10, because this is my first DSLR shot (with Nikon D5200) that I considered good. I focused on the faces of two of my friends with an aperture of 5.6 on 50mm zoom.

I know there must be better than this, but I don't know if this better is "FAR away" or "CLOSE enough"

Thanks in advance. All comments and advice are welcome.

YafKd5q.jpg

3 or 4. You say that you are practicing taking pictures of people in landscape but this is not a good place to use it. With all the people in the background makes it busy and distracting of the subjects. Also, you have a floating head of the lady on the left. I feel that portrait would have been a better choice in this situation.

I feel they are to close to to the front of the picture, maybe step back a couple of foot. This would have also avoided the floating head that ronlane mentioned

The thing that stands out the most to me is that the girl on the right looks like she doesn't want to be in the picture. The girl on the left seems to be giving a genuine smile/smirk, but the girl on the right looks like she felt obligated to pose. If you're ever unsure of whether a facial expression is genuine or not, use your hand or a piece of paper to cover half of the photo and look at the eyes and at the mouth separately. If the expression is a fake, one or the other will usually give it away.

Most reactions

Back