RAW? Huh what's that?

Stick with jpeg and get your settings right in the camera. Keep photography fun.
Processing that many pictures with Raw would be a pain in the ____, unless you really like sitting at your computer.

Unless he's batch editing, that wouldn't be too terrible to edit in RAW.

Still, I would not want to even look at that many at one time. I can't even imagine all the duplicates.

And why stick with JPG? RAW is incredibly useful.

True, stick with JPG isn't particularly good advice I don't think. JPG has some advantages in the convenience department, but if you really want control over your results, RAW is the only option.

Plus, I can see why some people don't dig it, but I like processing RAWs. That's like my favorite way to spend a morning, cup of coffee, raw converter, and a full SD card.

Plus, I can see why some people don't dig it, but I like processing RAWs. That's like my favorite way to spend a morning, cup of coffee, raw converter, and a full SD card.

Me too. Unless I'm trying to achieve a certain effect that I can't get SOOC (or cropping, straightening), I pretty much stick with the RAW converter.

jowensphoto said:
Yes, I'm curious to know why you are shooting so many at one time too. Not saying that your incorrect in doing so, just wondering why.

Well... I have been going out and taking 6-8 pictures of the same subject adjusting small settings on my camera to really understand what each of the settings do ... I went to the zoo ad the botanic garden here to do practice shooting. I am trying to get better by practicing. I was just curious about the Raw photos. I have had my camera since Nov and I love it!

Ok, it makes sense now. I (well, probably everyone!) was a bit snap happy when I first got my camera too :)

Ya know, I've been in this area my whole life, and have never been to the botanical gardens?!

Regarding RAW (if not already explained): basically, there's a lot more data packed into the file (thus making it MUCH larger than a jpg). The post production editing options are much wider open than if you're shooting only in jpg.

you don't need a class 10 card unless you are shooting HD video. Most top end cameras won't go as fast as the card will go so you'd be spending more than necessary. Class 6 will be fine

800 to 1,000 photos at a time is staggering. I sometimes shoot a roll of 35 mm X36 exposures in one go and find myself wondering afterwards if I gave each shot enough thought!

Thanks a good point Fred... I should spend more time before the shutter

Oh who cares? It is not film. If you want to shoot 5000 shots in one venture, enjoy. This is the beauty of digital. It cost nothing to erase and reuse...Go nutz and enjoy... John

I decided to shoot in raw ... then used aperture ... pushed a few buttons cause idk what anything does looks foreign to me ... i don't particularly like the composition. Also added my flash and shot this in manual.

Just a boat by Art by QJ, on Flickr

Oh who cares? It is not film. If you want to shoot 5000 shots in one venture, enjoy. This is the beauty of digital. It cost nothing to erase and reuse...Go nutz and enjoy... John

Again, this is crap advice. For the most part. He's right about the convenience of being able to shoot, delete, shoot, delete...rinse, lather, repeat. But let's face it: if you're taking that many photos for EVERY shoot, there's not much thought going on (which you mentioned yourself). BUT at the beginning, that's a great way to test what you've learned about exposure, composition, etc.

I decided to shoot in raw ... then used aperture ... pushed a few buttons cause idk what anything does looks foreign to me ... i don't particularly like the composition. Also added my flash and shot this in manual.

Can you tell us what you did in Aperture? Which buttons did you use? Also, if you post the original, it will give something to compare.

You're right about the composition; centered is not usually preferable. I DO think the exposure and WB look good. The sails are nice and white, but there's still some texture there. For a first try, I'd say A for effort!

Don't we wish, but that statement is far from true.

Most of the base entry-level cameras have a shutter rated at 50,000 actuations. At 5000 shots in one venture, 50,000 actuations allows 10 ventures. a shutter rated at 100,000 actuations would allow 20 ventures.

With shutter replacement running about $300 a pop today...........

Don't we wish, but that statement is far from true.

Most of the base entry-level cameras have a shutter rated at 50,000 actuations. At 5000 shots in one venture, 50,000 actuations allows 10 ventures. a shutter rated at 100,000 actuations would allow 20 ventures.

With shutter replacement running about $300 a pop today...........

Good point. I didn't even think of this.

OP- I looked it up the other day, the T2i is rated at 100,000 actuations. That means that you can take 100,000 shots (give or take. Every camera body has a different limit) before your shutter craps out. This actually just happened to a friend of mine (she has a 50D). Keith is spot on @ the $300 replacement.

I can shoot 200-1000 shots per night depending on what I'm doing (landscape). How long the light is good, bracketing for exposure, bracketing for shutter speed, focus stacking, Tweaking compositions, changing compositions in response to light. I'm always moving.
I dump them all into lightroom and sort them down to my favorites. Usually takes about an hour to sort down to 20ish.

To each his own, no right or wring way to shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back