RAW images turn awful when imported to CS5

shortpants

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Posting this here because I'm probably missing something obvious. The problem is my last set of photos from a weekend trip. For some reason, when I open them in Canon's Digital Photo Professional, they look normal, as shot. Without editing, if I open them in CS5 (camera raw) they suddenly are super grainy and have a hideous greenish yellow cast in the shadows. I restored camera raw to default settings and still the same, it's doing something weird to the photos. Even stranger, it's not happening to every photo from the same day of shooting. So I'm not sure it's from a camera setting I may have accidentally changed. It's just random ones. I don't understand what's going on, any help would be appreciated. I'm going to try to get a picture up for people to see what I mean.

Not much I can say to help you except that most of mine are awful when they leave my camera buffer :lol:

Now that I think about it, I'll put pictures that seem correctly exposed in UFRaw and end up adding +2 exposure comp. I'm interested to hear where this thread goes.

:addpics:

Difficult to troubleshoot something we can't see...Probably a colorspace issue and some of your photos contain colors that aren't in you working colorspace in Photoshop.

DPP and ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) are 2 different Raw converters.

DPP and ACR use differing algorithms to do the conversions, so they will always look different from each other, and from other Raw converters.

DPP has the added advantage that it can read all of the 'as shot' camera settings, while ACR can't. Nikon's View NX2 has the same advantage over ACR.

Hmm ok, here's a pic 100% crop just to show you. Please excuse the stupid shot but it shows what I'm talking about well. Default ACR settings, converted to jpg with no other editing.
80fa7fdc.jpg

I've never had this problem before, and like I said it's just with random photos. I can't find any rhyme or reason for it.

I had this problem with UFraw all of a sudden. When I would open them up, my shots all had some kind of color thing going on. I tried to restore to default and never could, so I just uninstalled. I wondered what would cause that. As you said, would look fine under imageviewer.

Perhaps because I'm running on my last day of my CS5 trial and Adobe is punishing me :lol:

At the bottom of the Adobe Camera RAW menu, there is an Output Colorspace selection. If you aren't going to do color management, it needs to be set to sRGB. If it is selected to ProPhoto or something else and then you export it into a program expecting sRGB, some of the colors won't display right because the sRGB color gamut is smaller and lacks certain colors.

It might be due ro the difference between opening them and rendering using in-camera white balance settings versus some kind of default WB in the editor. Have you changed a setting in the editor? I'd assume DPP uses the in-camera setting.

Posting this here because I'm probably missing something obvious. The problem is my last set of photos from a weekend trip. For some reason, when I open them in Canon's Digital Photo Professional, they look normal, as shot. Without editing, if I open them in CS5 (camera raw) they suddenly are super grainy and have a hideous greenish yellow cast in the shadows. I restored camera raw to default settings and still the same, it's doing something weird to the photos. Even stranger, it's not happening to every photo from the same day of shooting. So I'm not sure it's from a camera setting I may have accidentally changed. It's just random ones. I don't understand what's going on, any help would be appreciated. I'm going to try to get a picture up for people to see what I mean.

At the bottom of the Adobe Camera RAW menu, there is an Output Colorspace selection. If you aren't going to do color management, it needs to be set to sRGB. If it is selected to ProPhoto or something else and then you export it into a program expecting sRGB, some of the colors won't display right because the sRGB color gamut is smaller and lacks certain colors.
Thanks, it was displaying Adobe RGB but changing it to sRGB didn't make a difference.

And to be clear, it's displaying this way in camera raw right away, not just when the image is processed to another format. Also this is CS5 RAW not ACR separately so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

CS5 Raw IS ACR. It's ACR 6 to be specific. Lightroom is also ACR 6. Elements 9 uses a de-featured version of ACR 6.

Put another way, ACR is not a standalone application.

You may also want to note that ACR can be hosted from Bridge or from Photoshop. If ACR is hosted by Bridge the ACR 'Done' button is highlighted; when the ACR button 'Open Image' is highlighted, Photoshop is the host.

Bridge can be used to batch process images in ACR, while you work on other images in Photoshop.

Anyone that wants to acquire a good understanding of how to use ACR can get the book: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

Since Lightroom 3's edit rendering engine is also ACR 6, the book also applies to Lightroom and to a lesser extent Elements 9.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back