RAW + JPEG fine

32???? I have 256 hahahahah
I will see your 256 and raise you a 512 card. :lol:
SD-625x350.jpg

I am going to revisit that Picture Control feature. Adding to my list, I keep forgetting about that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

32???? I have 256 hahahahah
I will see your 256 and raise you a 512 card. :lol:
SD-625x350.jpg
BUT, do you actually have that? I'm calling rubbish lol.
Yes but not in a camera. Have an old iMac that the hard drive was starting to go bad. With the iMac you can put an SD card in the slot and make it your boot disk. I got one of these, put the operating system on it and some games for the granddaughters and it works just fine for them to play their games. They are four and six so the games that are on it are not that large in terms of size.

Once again, so-called "experts" who simply CAN NOT SEE that there are many,many,many people who simply do not possess the editing skills do perform operations like noise reduction on say, 500 to 1,500 images files from a weekend shoot, or a wedding, or whatever.

Once again, after a long, lengthy logical and reasonable report on how something works with new gear, I read words like "pointless" and "useless". Typical narrow-minded ignorance and an unwillingness to look at anybody else's working methods. Unable to tailor an answer to a first-time or new poster.

TIme to step back from your "expert" perches and wise up, and start looking at the Original Poster who poses a question, and start trying to help other people.

Typical JPEG BAD! RAW IS KING! attitudes. Typical responses. Major overkill

Not impressed by the inability to answer a simple question from the point of view. Not impressed by the inability to see ANYTHING except the way you, personally, decree that photos must be handled.

Typical let's convert a handful of selects attitudes here. Those who say "Storage is cheap!!!" and then proclaim, "so only shoot raw." Well, if storage is so cheap, then why not stop being a space-pinching retentive, and just keep a JPEG file as a reference on separate media... JFC...a single DVD disc of JPEGS can show the image contents of a multi terrabyte hard drive. So,so smart yet so,so blinded by dogmatic, limited thinking...

NOT EVERYBODY wants to **** around converting every single ******* image from a 20 to 40 megabyte .NEF or .CR2 raw...

Nikon Picture Control Editor.

Nikon Picture Control Editor

MOST people here cannot edit images this well. Try it.

Maybe figure out WHY Nikon developed this set of tools for their cameras.

Apparently, automated image handling suuuuuuuucks. Apparently Nikon's engineering development was utterly foolish to design a way to make a camera with a computer in it able to tailor an image file.

Think again.

Nikon Picture Control Editor.

Nikon Picture Control Editor

MOST people here cannot edit images this well. Try it.

Maybe figure out WHY Nikon developed this set of tools for their cameras.

Apparently, automated image handling suuuuuuuucks. Apparently Nikon's engineering development was utterly foolish to design a way to make a camera with a computer in it able to tailor an image file.

Think again.
I am into batch work with Linux / Gimp scripts, was very useful with some recent copy projects and saved a lot of time. Sharpen, tone curve, and a dynamic light type bump.. Results were good, guy was happy. I have recently been using that Nikon software on those 150-600 testing and find it pretty useful. I like the active d lighting slider a lot. Just a little bump almost every time.... and as I loosely understand, this can be done with picture control loaded in menu of camera. Lord knows I have enough hardware laying around to put a Windows box together as I can't seem to get Nikon software to play nice in Linux / using Wine.

So, that link you posted, is all that included in the picture control software that I have been avoiding?

Sorry for the mini hi-jack

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I actually shot an indoor soccer game in JPEG Large.
I then ran through LR to correct some exposures being off, cropping and pulling out detail.
It actually worked pretty good.

The latest game though I did in RAW.

A couple years ago I shot in RAW + JPEG Large as I really didn't understand RAW and my processing times were gigantic. As I understood processing more and increased my speed on it I stopped doing JPEG as it was just another file.

I'll probably do the next game in JPEG again just because.

JPEG for the kids ball games is great! I won't be publishing or printing the images, most likely. I can get the full advantage of the camera's burst. JPEG+Raw? Not for me.

Thanks everyone for all your valuable input, really appreciated. As Derrel said, I am in the very early stages of my photography skills. I see the importance in RAW to have greater control and I hope to get to a point where my skills get me to better photo editing experience. I think based on comments, my best route is to continue shooting RAW+JPEG and keep learning the editing basics with the JPEG files in lightroom. As I continue to get comfortable, I might do some of my editing from RAW to start practicing in parallel and gain experience.

You probably want to practice editing the Raw files. There is significantly more latitude! Regardless of experience.

Hi everyone. So I now know the cons/pros for shooting in RAW vs JPEG and why for picture details and editing is far better to shoot RAW. Now, what I was not able to find yet is the difference between those two vs the option that combines both in the camera. Aside from creating a larger file (I assume it combines or saves two pictures, one in RAW and another in JPEG). So question here is, what are the benefits, if any, to use this RAW+JPEG fine option, or should I still be aiming to use RAW only?

Thanks.
Just to balance the equation a bit.
I only shoot in JPG and I dont own Photoshop or lightroom. I am not a pro phtotographer but I take photography very seriously.
I experimented with RAW and found that I could get nothing extra with processing RAW that I could not get with JPG except that it took a bit longer to process the pictures so I committed to JPG only.
I consider myself to have advanced graphics skills not just in photography but in digital art in general. I have a whole selection of free software that processes my photographs from individual images to 200 images that need batch processing in a hurry and I am very happy with what I produce and so are my friends and family.
Make your own mind up about what you want out of a photograph and if that means you would be happier using RAW and JPG then go for it but dont dismiss the capabilities of what modern cameras just because you read it on a forum.

Once again, so-called "experts" who simply CAN NOT SEE that there are many,many,many people who simply do not possess the editing skills do perform operations like noise reduction on say, 500 to 1,500 images files from a weekend shoot, or a wedding, or whatever.

Once again, after a long, lengthy logical and reasonable report on how something works with new gear, I read words like "pointless" and "useless". Typical narrow-minded ignorance and an unwillingness to look at anybody else's working methods. Unable to tailor an answer to a first-time or new poster.

TIme to step back from your "expert" perches and wise up, and start looking at the Original Poster who poses a question, and start trying to help other people.

Typical JPEG BAD! RAW IS KING! attitudes. Typical responses. Major overkill

Not impressed by the inability to answer a simple question from the point of view. Not impressed by the inability to see ANYTHING except the way you, personally, decree that photos must be handled.

Typical let's convert a handful of selects attitudes here. Those who say "Storage is cheap!!!" and then proclaim, "so only shoot raw." Well, if storage is so cheap, then why not stop being a space-pinching retentive, and just keep a JPEG file as a reference on separate media... JFC...a single DVD disc of JPEGS can show the image contents of a multi terrabyte hard drive. So,so smart yet so,so blinded by dogmatic, limited thinking...

NOT EVERYBODY wants to **** around converting every single ******* image from a 20 to 40 megabyte .NEF or .CR2 raw...

I'd be willing to bet the op doesn't even have 500 to 1,500 image files from a weekend shoot.

True, not everyone actually considers what the op is asking.

Thanks everyone for all your valuable input, really appreciated. As Derrel said, I am in the very early stages of my photography skills. I see the importance in RAW to have greater control and I hope to get to a point where my skills get me to better photo editing experience. I think based on comments, my best route is to continue shooting RAW+JPEG and keep learning the editing basics with the JPEG files in lightroom. As I continue to get comfortable, I might do some of my editing from RAW to start practicing in parallel and gain experience.
If you are editing in LR (Note Image below is of an older version of LR).

then use the "Auto" feature.

After you press it scroll and look at the settings. Then press "Control -Z" to Undo the settings. Then play around with the sliders based on the Auto Settings. Then you can see how each setting affects the image.
LR_Auto.jpg

You don't have to process 500 - 1500 images. Look at each image and see if it's in focus.
If not then skip over it.
Or if its not an image you want to process, skip over it.

You can use the "Rating" stars to set photos that you want to keep to process
LR_Rating.jpg

Then at the end you can set a Filter for those Ratings. Say 3 stars for 3 stars or greater.
LR_Filter.jpg

Then you only have to Process / Export the images that are higher quality.

Thanks astro, I will for sure be looking for Lightroom tutorials as well in youtube to learn the editing side of things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back