jamesbjenkins

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ballengerphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

In the last few months, I've been working out my new business plan for the next 3-5 years. I haven't been happy with the response on the portrait market, mainly because of a completely saturated market in my area. I've been researching lots of successful real estate photographers, and building my style of real estate photography.

I recently had the opportunity to shoot the home of a friend of mine who's a general contractor and partner in his dad's real estate agency. This session was an audtition for doing regular business with my friend. I'd love some feedback on these images, since this is the very first time I've ever shot real estate.

Note: the home is brand new construction, completed the very day I shot the session (you can still see some tape on the vent hood that was painted that morning). There is no turf in the yard, thus I have no exterior shots. C&C welcome.

1. stovetop / cabinets

2. sink

3. details on the cabinets

4. showing off the granite counters

5. under counter details

6. living room pano

7. fireplace pano

8. tray ceiling

9. bathroom sink

10. bathroom pano

11. kitchen pano (I'm going to fix the barrel distortion on the right edge)

--

I used 5 shot brackets and HDR processing for all of these images. I'm still working on getting a consistent output I'm happy with. How do you guys shoot real estate? C&C on the images, and suggestions on the session itself are much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Not bad; definitely a step up from 99% of what you see on MLS websites; a few thoughts: The main issue that grabs me is blown highlights. In #1, it's the under-cabinet lighting, In 5, 6, 10 & 11 it's either windows or lighting fixtures. Many times dimmers are fitted, in which case you can use those to reduce the output of the lights, or even bring in your own low-wattage bulbs if need be.

Understanding it's brand-new construction, for shots like #7, it would be worth having a box of odds and ends you can put on shelves and mantles, just a few small things to reduce the 'big empty room' look.

The french doors in the background of #2 really distract my eye. Not sure why, but when I look at the image, that's all I can see. #4 doesn't really work for me; the marble pattern is so varied that with the shallow DoF, it seems like the whole image is out of focus. I think a nice long shot of the counter, with say, a bowl of fruit, just slightly OOF in the background would have worked better. All I see in #8 is a ceiling fan; I really think that this one needed to be shot from a different angle to show off the tray effect. I'm guessing it's probably in the order of 12", but it's very difficult to tell.

I like the pano effect in #10, but if feels like I'm looking at it from the ceiling. Consider shooting with the camera in portrait orientation for a more normal aspect view.

While the HDR aspect of these is really well don't, I think you'll acheive better and more consistant results using multiple speedlights gelled and hidden here and there to enhance the exposure.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I can't say much for the design of this home, but FWIW; you are not shooting architecture, you're shooting product. You need to get a wide lens, and get the entire room. Why not have a look at some architectural photography in magazines to see how it's done. And don't forget the exterior.

Also, your depth of field is suffering as well. Not so much if your objective was product photography, but for architecture you need to get everything in focus.

Also, unless there is some reason to hurry up and get the photos published, you are not doing this house any favors by not staging it. Does the owner of the company want to show this house in its best light? If so, he should hire somebody to properly stage it for the photos.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. These were all shot with a 24-70 f/2.8. I don't have a wide angle yet, and I'm trying to decide between the 14-24 (obviously, the gold standard) and the newer 16-35 f/4 VR. Anyone have personal experience with either lens? I'm curious how valuable that extra 2mm on the wide end would be, because having the ability to slap on a polarizing filter for exterior shots is a pretty big deal and you can't have a filter on the 14-24...

Every shot here was taken at f/2.8, which I will change for next time. I see what you mean about some of the images seeming OOF. I'll try to shoot around f/8 next time.

As far as staging goes, the owner isn't concerned with selling it. This is their personal home, which they began moving into literally the moment I was done shooting. I'll be going back for a staged session once they get all settle in.

John, as for the bathroom shot. It looks like it was shot from the ceiling because I was standing on the counter when I took the pictures. I really need to get a true wide angle lens before I do this again. The distortion on the wide end of the 24-70 is huge, which affected the ability of getting a good pano at ground level.

Great feedback! Thanks.

I'm really curious to hear what others have to say...

Here's my less than scientific review of the 16-35 from last year. If you want to save money on a wide-angle, it's a great option. If you're going to do architectural, interiors, etc, I would drop the extra for the 14-24.

The one architectural photographer that I personally know uses a view camera. With most wide shots, you will have some distortion, so you should come up with a plan to deal with it. If I were going to try this, I might want to try the 10-24 mm. Or a wide PC lens. Or a view camera.

Sorry I didn't look to see what your camera was, but I took the Tokina 11-14 2.8 for a spin and loved it. Obviously this is a crop frame lens only though.

Not too bad. Some of the shots are a bit more yellow then I would like but I doubt a client would really be bothered by that. Think there were a few too many detail shots. I think #4 is a bit pointless. The granite is displayed prominently in a lot of photos and dont think the close up would be needed. #8 i would not use also. I see you are trying to show this detail but in the process you show two ac vents that stick out like sore thumbs. Them not being painted to match or decorative enough to stand on their own might bother a client in this price range. This house is surely not cheap.

But the distortion is a bit odd. The bathroom shot is effected the worse. It looks cool to me but its not an accurate depiction of what it really looks like. This is where the 14-24 would come into play. Yes I did suggest the 14-24. Dont be cheap on yourself. You need those extra 2mm.

The photos are totally amazing!! You really are a professional photographer. :hail:How I wish I have those same camera to be used as well. :((sigh) The house in which you took off pictures from are great, too. Such timeless pieces.. I love it!!:lovey:

The photos are totally amazing!! You really are a professional photographer. :hail:How I wish I have those same camera to be used as well. :((sigh) The house in which you took off pictures from are great, too. Such timeless pieces.. I love it!!:lovey:

Well, over-the-top praise perhaps, but thanks just the same.

I'm looking forward to shooting with the 14-24mm 2.8 soon. Still trying to land a broker.

Thanks for your kind words.

You deserve to be praised... All the photos you posted in here are much better than those being sold for stock photography. :thumbsup: How much more are those which you are planning to use on your next set of shooting? I hope you will be posting them here too so I can get to see them :popcorn: ( I love the emoticons in this forum, too)

nice shots but that has to be the ugliest kitchen i have ever seen

Ohh, I don't think it's an ugly kitchen.. The kitchen is even bigger than the size of our entire house. I could barely imagine how wonderful your house would be considering that you see that kitchen as the ugliest kitchen you have ever seen. :sillysmi:

Most reactions

Back