What's new

Real world 3D model - 1 year project

jonas_thomas

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
Brussels
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I am following some of the interesting threads here for some time now.
If possible I would like to hear some professional opinions about the photographs I took of this model I made. It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

DSC_3496-doorsturen.jpg


DSC_3367-doorsturen.jpg


maquette-024.jpg


The video below shows the process in making my imaginary urban complex. It was exhibited for a month at Bozar Centre for Fine Arts in Brussels (2012). It is made from 1,845 individual laser-cut pieces over a period of one year.

[video=vimeo;38913543]http://vimeo.com/38913543[/video]
 
That's really cool. If it were me, I'd 'shop out all the evidence that it's a model (the base, the obvious fact it's sitting on a desk, etc.) and try compositing myself (or somebody) into the picture. :D
 
Thanks :-) It is not a desk in fact, but it would be cool if you couldn't see what the base is made of. Thanks for the tip :-)
 
Very striking. About the only thing I would suggest is using a roll of smooth, stiff paper- colored if you like- for the background. Pull it forward underneath the base of the model so that the curve of the paper eliminates the edge where the base becomes the backdrop behind the model, creating a smooth gradient instead. An alternate option would be to place the object on a mirrored surface so that you get some interesting reflections in front of it simulating a body of water. With so much work going into the construction of the model, I would take a great deal of effort to photograph it as perfectly as possible.

Of the three photographs you've posted, the third one is my favorite. There is a bit of noise in the smooth areas, though. What ISO did you use? With a stationary set-up like this, if you have the camera stabilized on a tripod, you can use a low ISO and a long exposure to get very smooth gradients.
 
Very nice. I like all three. The only nit I have is the "horizon" line going through the first one behind the model. I would have preferred a sweep in it's place.

My first thought on viewing when I opened the thread was that it looked like a cross between a Dalek and a Tardis, which gets several extra cool-points from me. :)
 
Cool! In a way, it's almost too sharp for its own good, because the texture gives away the scale of the image a bit (a real building made of smooth metal or whatever would have much finer texture so as to be invisible from 50 yards away in a helicopter, etc.). Dunno what could be done about that, though.
 
Thanks for the comments to all!

@ Eclectix:

Thanks for the tip about the gradient in the background. I did a quick try with gaussian blur in Photoshop and I mus say it looks interesting. I think I will probably make another version of the first photograph in Photoshop.

The option to do something with a mirror-like underground is something I haven't thought off and sounds very promising. Thank you for that. This is something I will remember for the future. The whole setup of this model takes a lot of time, so I won't redo it in the near future. Taking this series of photos took me about two full days in an empty room at work.

About the noise in the third photo: I actualy like this. :-) It is personal taste I guess. The ISO was very high on this one: 10159. I don't remember why I did this, but there must have been a reason, since the camera was on a tripod.


@ Buckster:

Thanks! I will try it with a gradient in photoshop.


@ Gavjenks

Thanks! I think you are right. At some point I was planning to paint something on it that looks like concrete, but I didn't do it finally. Too much work and I was not sure if it would be an improvement.
 
Last edited:
Here is a video about how I cut the angled edges off all the little peices. :-)

Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! :-)

[video=vimeo;41979443]https://vimeo.com/41979443[/video]
 
that's a really cool design. Why not try some forced perspective with it? Make it look like a real building with real little people and stuff?
 
Hey Minicoop,

Thanks! Yes, I am planning to do that in 3D But as always: I need to find the time to do that :-)
 
Very cool model.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom