REALLY interested in photography?

:::::::update::::::::
i apologize for the delay; a few late nights and some ensuing cerebral sessions had burned me out for a spell. regardless, on we go.
artistic portrayal/theme for the week:
“there are many photographs which are full of life but which are confusing and difficult to remember. it is the force of an image which matters.” –Brassai

1st photo
k1.jpg

critique #1 (henceforth abbreviated c1, c2, etc.)
although the photo is grounded well with triangulation in the lower left corner, there isn’t sufficient information to convey, ‘that is her shoulder.’
k1a.jpg

c2
the glasses are a problem causing undesirable highlights, let alone the physical distraction
k1b.jpg

c3
the tightness of the photo is apparent, but the ‘force’ (emotiveness) is lacking. it is up to the photographer to either stimulate such emotion or to take scissors to the neg.
k1c.jpg

c4
at each end of each of the blue lines you will notice that there is a corresponding tonal value. this, in itself, is pleasing, but the background areas are ‘off’. the lower red area is consistent with the photo, but in terms of balance, the upper left red area should drop down a few zones to contrast with her hair to balance the image.
k1d.jpg

c5
no serious issues with composition. the diagonals connect the eyes and it is weighted correctly.
k1e.jpg

2nd photo
to.jpg

c1
disregard the lack of ‘image reality’ in the foreground; we attempted only to create more foreground space to give it balance.
t2.jpg

c2
a crop and added foreground to bring more balance and eliminate extraneous information.
t3.jpg

c3
same as the image above, but do you notice a ‘weight’ change in the image?
t3a.jpg

c4
notice the hotspot in the center where there is no texture. (yes, i did call it an amoeba :/ )
ta.jpg

c5
the composition overlay. great composition, though it could’ve used a bit in the foreground.
t3ag.jpg

c6?
and some folks thought it would make a nice postcard, which it would. some freak did this….
t1W.jpg

3rd photo
1r2.jpg

c1
no photo here. there was some conversation about the colorizing of the hat overwhelming the ‘subject’. red is a very harsh, beautiful, eye attracting color. the consensus was that the eye was drawn to the hat first, then to the dangling tag and the shadows behind the hat and tags.
c2
the composition overlay. looking at the image we thought there was too much room to the left and top. i did the overlay and, as it turned out, there is.
1r2a.jpg

c3
a crop and overlay.
1r2b.jpg

the photographer had to leave just as we were getting to the ‘meat’ of this image, therefore; we can’t add much more critique. the photographer’s presence in light of present conditions is very much appreciated; thanks for joining us.
thanks all for the weekly chat/critique session. i am completely aware that this is a trying time of the year for most of you; final exams, holiday season, family, etc. that said; you’ve been wonderful and engaging. i’ve appreciated every moment of it. i’m looking forward to the next meeting. again, any and all are welcome; the more the merrier.
what you see may be beautiful. the print, however; may not have captured what your creative eye saw. balance the creative and the analytical and, most of all, have a hell of a lot of fun.
photo critique crew /out

adding a re-post here b/c it disrupted the continuity of last week's post.
still going strong.

wee.jpg

more to come!

triggerhappy said:
These are really great! I'll try and join you next week (though I'm not sure what 9pm est is in GMT)

eastern is -5 gmt/utc. we are open to accomodations provided there is consistency in participation.

that said, i'm off to bed (nap) as it is 4:41am eastern :D

a lot of people contacted me via irc, pm inbox, and email to let me know of their plans. that said, most are not able to make it this evening, so we'll look forward to next week. i'll be in vent and irc should anyone happen to be around.

enjoy!
drunkfriends.gif

Most reactions

Back