Really Newbie

ntieu22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys im new at photography... My cousin had the nikon d700 and i love the way the pics came out.. i was wondering ist here anything similar to that but cheaper... let me know thanks

The D700 is a pro level camera but most Digital SLR (DSLR) cameras are pretty good...better than typical point & shoot digital cameras anyway.

There are several 'entry level' DSLR cameras that can be found for less than $1000. I'd start with the Nikon D60 or the Canon Rebel XSi.

Now keep in mind that there is a lot more than just the camera that goes into a photograph. The lens makes a big difference, and I'd guess that if you cousin has a D700, they also have a pretty good lens to shoot with....and good lenses aren't cheap.

Lastly, it's the photographer that really makes a good photo. So if you really want to improve your own photography, you money would be better spent on some books or a class...than just getting a fancy new camera.

yea i was thinking the d90 or the cannon g9 what u think is worth it.. i wanna spend like 500-1k

yea i was thinking the d90 or the cannon g9 what u think is worth it.. i wanna spend like 500-1k
There is a big difference between those two cameras. The G9, is a good camera, but it's not an SLR type camera which means that it has a rather tiny image sensor and its lens is not interchangeable. The D90 is a DSLR camera which has a good sized sensor and the ability to change lenses.

there is def a big price diffrence in the d90 and the d700.. will the picture quality of a d90 and a d700 be similiar.. besides other features...

there is def a big price diffrence in the d90 and the d700.. will the picture quality of a d90 and a d700 be similiar.. besides other features...

Yes and no. If you take an image captured with a D700 and the identical one captured with a D90, using the same lens, you will be very hard-pressed to tell them apart in general circumstances. The D700 will have much better performance at higher ISOs, but the D90 is getting excellent overall reviews recently, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

To be honest as an entry-level amateur photographer, you really can't go wrong with any of the current crop of DSLRs, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus or Sigma. Your best bet will be to go down to a real camera store (NOT a big-box eletronics store) and tell the salesman your budget, and then play with the cameras in your range. Discuss the pros and cons with the salesman and find out which one feels best.

Cant go wrong with a good old XTi for $400-$500 (or a D40 priced similarly depending on your preferences). Go out and hold a few different cameras and see which you like the best.

D90 FTW!

3159171701_a1d00ec59c.jpg

Depends on budget.

If you have about ~$1000 to spend on a camera and a lens or two, go D90.
If you have about ~$1400 to spend... go D200.
If you have about ~$1800 to spend... go D300.

If you have less than ~$1000 to spend, consider the D60 and D40x, but really... I try to discourage people from buying anything less than a D90 (or a used D80). They have some hard-core limitations that really just kind of suck.

Yes, I know I'm not being terribly constructive. I'm tired. :lol:

I have a D60, I'd recomend that or as most people have said a D90 :)

personally id get a cheaper DSLR, like a D4O, which I have and spend the difference on a second lens like the 70-300vr. Im happy with my D40, for the moment but I am wanting a bigger lens as i find the 55mm quite limiting ...at least u can use the lenses when upgrade :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back