reaquried Olympus OM-1 MD, any advice for this camera?

aramator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just got home from iraq, in california now
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have an olympus om-1 md, its a 35mm film camera. i have a digital that i use on the regular but i do not have much experience with film... i have a 28mm f2.8 and a 65-200mm f4 olympus zuiko lenses. i guess what i would like to know is what type of film sould i uses and the best places to get it developed, i dont have the equipment yet to do my own. any sugesstions or comments or tips would be very helpful, i want to get back into film thx!;)

There are innumerable guides to film, and all used bookstores have film guides at low prices. This is alot for one thread.

I have and periodically shoot an Olympus OM-1 I only use it with a Vivitar 400mm telephoto lens so.....can't help you there but.

As for the film I use, I get whatever 35mm film available to me and it works just fine. I use some Fuji Superia, Kodak Max and even Rite Aid rebranded films in it and have it processed at Rite Aid.

The great thing about film cameras is that the results are based on the film and the lens. The body does not mean too aweful much as far as image quality goes.

In simple terms it uses 35mm film.

As above there's a lot to choose from, right now in my film cameras I use Fuji Superia for colour and Ilford for BW.

The most important thing to remember with film (asside from the fact the quality is generally better than digital) is that each film has a fixed ISO. So, unlike a digital camera, you can't change it shot to shot. ISO 100 is fine for most outdoor daylight shots but as the light fades people tend to go for ISO400 or even faster film.

For this reason a lot of people have multiple camera bodies, I often have one with BW and one with colour in, plus my Medium Format camera.

I would advise you getting two additional items.

50mm f1.7 prime lens
Film Scanner, I use an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo, scanner which is both a flat bed and a film scanner and works VERY well. The reason for this is that it's a lot cheaper to scan film and print at the size you want than to. The quality will still be good. I can scan to CRAZY sizes, I have 88x88 inch square scans from Medium Format (at 300dpi) and 37x59 inch 35mm scans ( at 300dpi ).

By comparison a 10mp image is about 13x8.6 inches @ 300dpi.

Last edited:
well thx for the advice guys, now that i am home from my deployment i hope to try to get active in photography again and also this community. there are good people on here that know what they are talking about. thx again

Most reactions

Back