Reasons I Like/Dislike Mirrorless

It all depends on what you value. I value lighter weight and smaller size above having 2.8 available at all focal lengths. If you are ok with shooting at higher ISO and dealing with a bit of noise, you CAN have a smaller kit. The Fuji xt2 and 18-55 and 50-230 cover 99% of my needs, fit in a small bag or medium sized purse and are light enough for me to carry all day on a hike.

I never leave my kit at home due to weight or inconvenience anymore. When I had a dslr and dslr sized lenses, I was frequently leaving them at the hotel when on vacation because I didn’t want to lug them around. And that wasn’t even a giant full frame!

You have to make a conscious decision not to get sucked back into the big lens mentality or you switch to mirrorless and end up right back where you were.

I have been travelling a lot for work, and even my XT-2 + 18-55mm zoom is a bit much to pack for a primarily work trip (taken some personal trips also). I have mainly been taking my Contax iia, but sometimes I fall back to the Konica Big Mini HG. The Contax with the Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4 mounted fits in my computer bag (about the size of a charging puck), plus I carry my Zeiss 50mm f2 Sonnar also, and a few filters. The Konica of course is the most compact, but has limitations.

I agree on the big lens with mirrorless. When I bought the XT-2 it had a 18-55 mounted, but I looked at the 18-135 also. I thought this does almost everything, but when I picked it up I realized it defeated the reason I wanted the mirrorless (size/weight), so ended up with the 18-55.

It all depends on what you value. I value lighter weight and smaller size above having 2.8 available at all focal lengths. If you are ok with shooting at higher ISO and dealing with a bit of noise, you CAN have a smaller kit. The Fuji xt2 and 18-55 and 50-230 cover 99% of my needs, fit in a small bag or medium sized purse and are light enough for me to carry all day on a hike.

I never leave my kit at home due to weight or inconvenience anymore. When I had a dslr and dslr sized lenses, I was frequently leaving them at the hotel when on vacation because I didn’t want to lug them around. And that wasn’t even a giant full frame!

You have to make a conscious decision not to get sucked back into the big lens mentality or you switch to mirrorless and end up right back where you were.

Agree.

I have a m4/3 system in two flavors.
Light/small and heavier/larger in both camera and lenses.
Which combination I choose to put together depends on the requirements of the shoot.
But it is really nice to be able to go light and small.

Dipped my toe in the mirrorless water with an X-T20.

Loved:
*size
*weight
*styling (so retro cool)
*imaging
*focus peaking
*WYSIWYG

Did not love:
*inability of adapted nikon glass to autofocus
*inability of adapted nikon glass to stabilize
*aps-c sized images (I'm a bit full-frame snobby)...
*one card

Actively disliked:
*way Photoshop handled x-sensor images.

Tho I had many great images, the wonky way that photoshop handled the fuji-x images ended the affair. Saving for a Nikon Z6 now.

Will keep my D7200 for wildlife, tho...

@Peeb
Nikon lens does not AF on Olympus either, nor does the VR work. And if the lens does not have an aperture ring, you can't set the aperture either. It is COMPLETELY MANUAL.

Maybe the Nikon will function on a Sony.

But a Z6 + FTZ adapter is probably a better match.
Although you still have only ONE card slot.

I sold all of my F-mount glass and DSLR's when I got my Z6. I'm in love. No looking back!
Saving my pennies for the Z 85mm 1.8 S next.

I did consider upgrading to a mirrorless camera last year, but after doing extensive comparisons opted for a DSLR because although the mirrorless cameras do have some advantages over DSLR's, in my opinion they don't justify the price tag. I am hoping that in time the price comes down, then I may consider it.

I bought my Fuji X-M1 for 70.79 used and another $20 for the MD-FX adapter.

Now I am almost using it exclusively over my Canon collection.

I am still getting an occasional Canon accessory mostly because the other half is using her camera because she hasn't jumped ship yet.

But the fact that I can use the Canon, Minolta, M-42 and almost every other lens I have (say the Hassy H and LF lenses) I am having fun!

For me, the cost is a bit high (Fuji USA) but worth it in the long run.

With every new generation of mirrorless, they get better by a rather large margin. Right now things are pretty close to dead even. The next generation of mirrorless should blow dSLR's out of the water.

With every new generation of mirrorless, they get better by a rather large margin. Right now things are pretty close to dead even. The next generation of mirrorless should blow dSLR's out of the water.

Mirrorless is doing that right now.

- The subject tracking on the Sony is fantastic.
- Shooting at night with the light enhancing EVF on the Olympus lets you SEE your subject, where with a dSLR the subject is a shadow. If you cannot put the AF point on the subject, using a flash won't work, you will have an out of focus subject.
- The ability to see your exposure and adjust it in real time, BEFORE you press the shutter, has helped me get more than a few good exposures in difficult lighting. If I know the lighting will be difficult, I take the Olympus mirrorless, rather than my Nikon dSLR.
- The 60fps frame rate on the Olympus EM1-mk2, is what used to be just a fantasy dream.

There are more, but that is all I can think of on the top of my head.

The ONLY reason that I am still shooting my Nikon dSLR is the lens.
Olympus does not have a lens comparable to the Nikon 70-200/4, with a zoom ring as light and easy to turn.
When I shoot sports and am working the zoom ring constantly for 5 HOURS, a LIGHT zoom ring makes a BIG difference.
But that is the lens, not the camera.

However, mirrorless lags in power consumption, and I don't see it changing. That is just the nature of the camera, you have an EVF that uses power.
A mirrorless camera uses more power than a similar dSLR.
In 15 years with dSLRs (Nikon D70 and D7200), I have NEVER used my spare battery on a shoot.
With my mirrorless, I HAVE TO carry spareS (note the PLURAL). Depending on the camera/lens combo, and what/how I shoot, the battery could last as short as 2 HOURS. My D7200 will go the entire weekend on a single charge. The Olympus being a small camera has a smaller battery than the FF mirrorless, so this should be less of a problem for the FF mirrorless cameras.

Last edited:
Going to throw in another comment into this.

Recently I got a MFT and a NIK-MFT adapter. With that, I have been able to mount almost all of the lenses I have collected and with other aspects, the images using med. Format lenses on a MFT has opened up alot of other possibilities.

D780: 2260 shots

My old Olympus EM1-mk1 shot over 2,000 shots, and still plenty of battery life left.

But the dSLR vs. mirrorless comparison by number of shots is basically flawed.
dSLR battery life is more dependent on number of shots.
Mirrorless battery life is more dependent on power ON time, not number of shots.
- I can shoot over 2,000 frames in 2 hours and still have plenty of battery power left.
- I can shoot less than 700 frames in 4 hours and have drained the battery.

So, I know of no good way to objectively compare battery life between a dSLR and mirrorless.

I'm beginning to wonder about the sanity on certain forums, all they ever discuss is how the camera works to the n'th degree of automation. They don't seem to see beyond the camera and what *it* does, trying define photography by the logic of the camera. I sometimes wonder if they actually see photographers or photographs at all and whether their world has morphed into something equivalent to "The Matrix" where they look through viewfinders and just see a steady stream of numbers rolling down... ;);););)

edit: spammy sig link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back