Reasons I Like/Dislike Mirrorless

I'm full of them.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
3. Can’t compose shot without turning camera on
4. I don’t have T Rex hands
5. AF is crap

1. Will eventually drive down the price of real camera gear.

Feel free to add to the list

Have you bothered to look at the spec sheet for the A7RIII and the A9? Both have dual memory card slots. AF isn't crap, it's slightly behind my Pentax but has full sensor coverage, which my Pentax 645Z doesn't have.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
5. AF is crap

Have you bothered to look at the spec sheet for the A7RIII and the A9? Both have dual memory card slots. AF isn't crap, it's slightly behind my Pentax but has full sensor coverage, which my Pentax 645Z doesn't have.

I don’t like being bothered.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
5. AF is crap

I don’t like being bothered.

What?

I love my m4/3, but freely admit it self-identifies as a D800.

I absolutely love my A9. Haven't run into a single dislike about it. My previous camera, the A7r had very limited battery life, but was a remarkable camera in many other ways.

The OP mentioned he tried the a7ii out and hated it and compared it to what he was used to. I think that’s a big part of the equation. I’m a carpenter and have tools that I’ve spent a lot of time using and even if a manufacturer came out with a tool that was better in some ways I probably wouldn’t ditch my tool because I know it intimately and am so used to how it works and feels. Even if I did switch it would take a long time to get used to that new tool.

i prefer DSLRs but I'm a dinosaur i prefer film as well haha

but I'm no fool i know mirrorless is the future and will eventually make DSLRs dead and for enthusiasts like film photography.

Lighten up guys, it’s just a discussion.

And while you may disagree with me, my opinion carries weight. I won POY here a few years ago. I have a photography book published by a university press.

I have tried shooting mirrorless and I absolutely hate it. All technical stuff aside, there is something to be said for having a camera that is comfortable in your hand and held to your eye.

I just picked up a used d600 with 7k clicks for a couple hundred bucks on eBay to use as a back up and for certain travel situations.

I know a mirrorless shooter who won a national competition .

You tried a mirrorless camera & didn't like it, but a different mirrorless might have been fine for you. I've tried DSLRs that are not comfortable in my hand.

Both systems work well & each has it's benefits but the DSLR benefits are no longer as many fold as they were. I still use both, but my latest mirrorless can AF with 1950s glass something no DSLR can manage, so the DSLR is getting used less & less. If I could afford a long native telephoto for the A7ii I might even retire the DSLR.

prices keep dropping, time keeps passing…

Reactions: D7K
As usual, I'm arriving to this party a day (or week) late and after all the good booze is gone so I'll be munching on the remnants of mixed peanuts and some ginger ale.

I get why some people are enthusiastic about mirrorless. I think the "correct" answer is to say that a camera is just a tool. And you choose the right tool for the job. There are plenty of "jobs" where a mirrorless camera is a superior tool, particularly where weight of the tool and carry-ability is a priority--a DSLR isn't even in the ball game there. But I think that mirrorless fans make too little of perspective and viewfinders. I know it's easy to say that mirrors are going the way of the dodo bird. But there are some instances where a digital depiction of what you see just doesn't work as well versus actually seeing what your camera is pointed at.

For those where the limitations of mirrorless don't matter (you don't need to worry about battery life), and the pros (weight or FPS) matter a lot, then you'd be a fool not to go with mirrorless. For others where the view matters or battery life is critical (like you're going on a photo safari in the field, expect to take 1,000+ photos over 2 days and no, you won't be able to recharge during that time) then a DSLR may seem like the ONLY answer (not a preferred one).

I'm not in a position to change from my DSLR but I am intrigued by the mirrorless technology. It just seems like the way to build a digital camera to me if you were starting from scratch.

But I do have to say that to me the size/weight issue isn't one. Any camera body with a 70-200 f/2.8 hanging from it will be heavy. And for me, that is what I'm using much of the time. Saving a few ounces on the body will not make much difference to me. The potential blazing frame rate is another matter, though...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back