Rebel XSi, kit lens (18-55mm) and fireworks. HELP!

Stilltime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I literally ran inside to post this because I SUCK at trying to get some decent pictures of the fireworks. Just like the title says - I have the rebel xsi with the 18-55mm kit lens. I do have a tripod, but it's old and a piece of crap (hand-me-down).

I just don't have time to search, and my manual isn't helping. It's telling me to use lenses I don't have.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
I literally ran inside to post this because I SUCK at trying to get some decent pictures of the fireworks. Just like the title says - I have the rebel xsi with the 18-55mm kit lens. I do have a tripod, but it's old and a piece of crap (hand-me-down).

I just don't have time to search, and my manual isn't helping. It's telling me to use lenses I don't have.

Can anyone help me?
Tripod mount, of course, and off-camera shutter release is pretty much mandatory...

I just got my XS, and haven't gotten to shoot fireworks yet... I did manage years ago to get decent shots on film, so my thoughts are to use bulb with a fairly narrow aperture and probably ISO 200.... fire when the stream goes up, and hold it until the firework fades.

For the finales, you'll find that they're overexposed that way... you can only do multiple exposures for that...

If you don't have the remote shutter release, you'll find that camera shake becomes a problem... even tripod mounted.

That's based on shows where you're some distance away - if you're shooting things in your immediate vicinity, you'll have to experiment with exposure.

My 2 cents' worth... others will likely have invaluable tips.

OK, I think I'm set shutter speed/aperture wise. What I don't get is focusing. Somewhere I read not to use auto focus with fireworks, and they're on our street, so close. They said to use AF to focus, then switch to manual focus, and/or tape the lens? Huh, wha?

I don't have a remote, but I can use a 1 one second self timer, I guess.

These aren't fireworks, but I did take these after I got off of work here in Indy. I used a remote shutter device and a tripod. The tiniest shake of the camera will cause the image to blur. I mean the slightest movement while taking in the dark.

-Christopher

Attachments

• $Pyramids3.jpg
    $Pyramids3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 92
  • $Pyramids4.jpg
    $Pyramids4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 79
OK, I think I'm set shutter speed/aperture wise. What I don't get is focusing. Somewhere I read not to use auto focus with fireworks, and they're on our street, so close. They said to use AF to focus, then switch to manual focus, and/or tape the lens? Huh, wha?

I don't have a remote, but I can use a 1 one second self timer, I guess.
I'd just manually focus... you will miss one or two doing that... but you'll be in focus.

The 1 second timer... hmm... if you absolutely know when the firework is fired, possibly... try it with one or two... maybe a 5 second exposure, too?

Without bulb (off-camera remote), it's gonna be hard, and possibly disappointing. Do what you can with what you have, and hopefully you'll have a few nice results.

These aren't fireworks, but I did take these after I got off of work here in Indy. I used a remote shutter device and a tripod. The tiniest shake of the camera will cause the image to blur. I mean the slightest movement while taking in the dark.

-Christopher
I've been there... had training classes there back in 2001.

Ok this thing resized my images so they are not as sharp as they are on my end. Anyway yes you could also use the timer if you don't have a remote shutter. I bought one for a little over $20.00. That's not expensive to me, but certainly not cheap. I know they have better ones out there, but mine works just great!

-Christopher

Nope, no remote. My husband's helping fire them, so I'll try to synch the photos.

My freaking battery died. So I'm inside taking a look at "round one" waiting to get enough juice to go back out and take some more. So far they seem over exposed, so I'm thinking I'm either too close, or need to mess with the settings some more. The best one so far was from me running with the camera when one jumped across the street. LOL

My freaking battery died. So I'm inside taking a look at "round one" waiting to get enough juice to go back out and take some more. So far they seem over exposed, so I'm thinking I'm either too close, or need to mess with the settings some more. The best one so far was from me running with the camera when one jumped across the street. LOL
heh... runnin' from the fire... that is prolly a great shot...

Use a smaller (higher number) aperture.

Fireworks:

1. Set up your camera on a tripod with remote release

2. Set focus to manual, focus on infinity

3. Set aperture to f8 (or thereabouts)

4. Set shutter speed to 2 seconds (as a starting point)

5. Watch a couple and try to trip the release just as the bloom ignites, or just before.

6. Review on the LCD, adjust shutter speed to produce the desired exposure and length of light trail.

Alright, these are my favorites. Even though they're kind of overexposed in the center, I think it lends to the overall the look. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself. :lol:

#1, especially with the fog from the smoke, looks like a spaceship or something. And #2 was me hauling buggy away from the one that jumped the street. You can kind of see the trail of the smoke more than anything. I think the fire had actually gone out on the main one in focus before the other one come at me from the other side, so what you're seeing is the movement from the lingering smoke. And #3 is an expample of one of many that could have been better if not over exposed. I included the exif info below so you guys can help me out.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

Bumping this with the pictures. I want some suggestions on the over exposed fireworks.

I only checked the EXIF info on #3... and there's not a thing more you could have done to get that image with the center exposed correctly. f/32, ISO 100... well, you could have used the exposure compensation and gotten another 2 stops, but that wouldn't really do much. Another option would be decreasing the light with neutral density filters... again, it's not going to do much for you.

The problem is the subject - it's hugely bright at the center. Sparkler type fireworks are always going to be a challenge because of that intense light at the center and bright, but much less so, trails going away.

I think you did well.

I usually set the camera to f13 or 16, and vary between 4 and 6 seconds. Sometimes 10, but that does overexpose the centres much. And I focus manually, for nothing else works. Here is one example photo of fireworks I photographed on 30 December (two days ago). They are professional fireworks, though, not those that you can buy in the shop around the change of year and fire off privately.
It was taken with the XT and its kit lens.

Most reactions

Back