Rebel XTI...to bundle telephoto or not bundle

Deforrest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cedarvalleyteddybears.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My local camera store has a Rebel XTI with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 for $899. for an extra $100 I can get a Canon EOS EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. Would the telephoto bundle be a good Idea or should I save the cash for a different higherquality telephoto. I have also looked on ebay and found somthingthat looks better but I am unshure.

The local store

the ebay deal

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need speed, scrap both lenses and get an f/2.8 midrange zoom or a few primes. otherwise, it's your call.

It kind of depends on what your budget is. When I switched from film to digital, even though I was buying a whole new system, I bought a body and two lenses to start. I have added several lenses since that time and all are quality glass. They should never need to be replaced.

In total my budget for everthing is $1200ish. I can afford to spend more but have almost exausted all my schmoosing points with my wife. The main use is going to be taking pictures of small breed dogs and I need a decent burst mode FPS. I dont know what you mean by "speed" but I need a camera with a decent FPS and the XTI will fit the bill MUCH better then the point and shoot I am curentely using. Is a "midrange zoom" somthing like a 28-200 somthing lens? If so then from what I have read on them thay have a minimum focus distance in the 24" and I need somthing that will focus a bit closer. As far as a "prime" lens I have no idea what that is and could use some more info.

If you are going to be shooting dogs, especially Shih Tzus, Yorkies, & Min Pins, you will definitely want a faster lens. Pass on the 75-300. That lens was originally designed for 35mm, and it will also leave a big gap in your focal lengths between 55 & 75mm.

A "fast" lens is one with a large maximum lens opening. The smaller the aperture number, the "faster" the lens is. Also, lenses with a fixed maximum aperture across their zoom range are nearly always better quality than the ones whose apertures vary.

Switch's advice seems good, but the lens he's talking about is around $400. It is an f/2.8 though, even at max. zoom. The lens tests show that it is better than the Canon kit lens. (which isn't bad, by the way)

Having just bought a mint 50mm f/2 lens (manual focusing) for my Pentax K100D, I will recommend that you stick with the XTi body, basic kit lens, and add a new 50mm f/1.8. With the multiplication factor, this will behave like a 80mm f/1.8, and will allow you to get really nice shots of your doglets, even when they are in motion. Alternately, when they are lounging around the house, you can get good shots too. Crank the ISO in your camera body up to 800 or so, go to aperture priority mode at f/1.8, and shoot protraits.

Shortly, I'm going to post some shots of my doglet Floyd, a 1/2 Min Pin and 1/2 Chihuahua. These were taken with the 50mm f/2, a fast portrait lens on my camera.

Pentax K100D, Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/2, ISO 800

10Feb2007_01.jpg

10Feb2007_02.jpg

10Feb2007_03.jpg

#4 (Getting ready for a nap in my wife's sweatshirt)
10Feb2007_04.jpg

These shots would not have been possible without a fast lens, as Floyd doesn't sit still long enough to use a longer shutter speed, unless he is asleep.

I have heard that that telephoto zoom is pure **** when it comes to both build quality and optics. Get the XTi body only to expand your budget for lenses a tad bit more. Scrap both lens ideas, get the lovable and cheap 50mm 1.8 MKII, get a good memory card (a 1 gig card maybe) and whatever you have leftover, spend on a midlevel moderate zoom lens(don't let the range get much higher than a difference of 150mm[from one end of the zoom range to the other]). I fell in love with a 28-105mm IS USM lens at best buy for $580. Couldn't buy it, was just allowed to play with it. I know what I'm saving for. (although I'll buy somewhere else to get a better deal)

Not to knock the local store but the kit lens combo is pretty high. At beachcamera.com the silver XTI is $729 and the black is $735. They are tax free (saving you more money) as long as you don't live in New Jersey. Amazon.com is significantly cheaper too, again with no tax. I have yet to order my camera but have been researching prices like a starving student (oh wait.. I am) so I am pretty aware of the good prices.
I don't know how the return policy is for each individual store so you may want to check that out before ordering. Additionally, before buying ANYTHING large online check the store out at ResellerRatings.com There are many many many companies out there who will take your money and run or sell you products from another country (good luck reading Chinese).
Right now I am in your boat. Looking at the XTI and a fast lens. I am considering the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 as it can be a VERY good lens if you get a good copy. However, this is a challenge when buying online. If you get a bad copy... what will the online store do about it? I am resolving this (at least today this is my plan... ask me again tomorrow) by purchasing my XTI at Beach Camera (body only for $679), my Canon 50mm 1.8 at Amazon.com (for $74), and my Tamron (around $340) locally. This setup looks around your price range.
This is what my hours and hours of research has found. Hope it helps. Again.. take it with a grain of salt because I am a noob... perhaps others will chime in and give you a better lens to replace my Tamron suggestion.

ETA: Oops... just re-read your post and you need something wider than 28mm. But my advice about finding the body cheaper elsewhere (sans-tax) is still relevant for freeing up a portion of your budget for a better lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back