Rebel XTi

DanGrasley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if anyone out there has the Canon Rebel XTi and what their thoughts were on it. One of my cameras is a Rebel Ti (film). I've always been very happy with the images I take with it, but I want to replace it with the XTi and use the lens' I have from the Ti on it. Comments?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The xti is great camera, i'm sure you'll be satisfied with it.
On the other hand the xti is a beginner camera, you have to expect a smaller grip that may be to dificult to grab, the viewfinder on the camera (compared to a 35mm) is going to be really small. As you may know the sensor on the camera is not 35mm, so you may use your lenses but you have to multiply them by 1.6 wich is "the crop factor" of that kind of sensor.

Go ahead and try it to see how it feel in your hand and your eye :lol:

If you can save some more money go and get a 5d is the cheapest full frame sensor camera and you'll love it.

On the other hand the xti ...

I think you mean Xt

Just didnt want to confuse him.

MY friend has the Xti and he loves it. I like it also but found the D40x Easier to handle and use. I would base your decesion on going to the store and trying some out instead of feautures/specs.

Thanks for the replies. I would love to get the 5D, but that's a little out of my current price range. I was also looking at the 40D.

I'm a little ignorant on this "crop factor". I see on the 40D it has a "1.6x field of view crop". Does this simply mean that a percentage of the image does not show on the view finder? I can live with that.

I think you mean Xt

Just didnt want to confuse him.

MY friend has the Xti and he loves it.
What do you mean? The XT and the XTi are effectively the same camera. There are some slight design differences, and the XTi has a couple more megapixels, but by and large they aren't much different.

I'm a little ignorant on this "crop factor". I see on the 40D it has a "1.6x field of view crop". Does this simply mean that a percentage of the image does not show on the view finder? I can live with that.
Try a search of the forum for 'crop factor'...there will plenty of info.

Basically, the sensor in many of the Digital SLR cameras is smaller than a frame of 35mm film. (this includes the XTi & the 40D etc.)
Imagine the light coming into your camera though the lens, it projects an 'image circle' onto the film. Now if you take that same lens and put it onto a Rebel XTi, the lens still projects that same image circle, but because the sensor is smaller, only the centre section is recorded...the rest is simply cropped.

The result to you, is that a given focal length will feel longer on a digital then it did on a film body. The factor is 1.6. So a 50mm lens will feel to you (at first) like an 80mm lens.

The digital SLR camera's viewfinder does take this into account, so what you see in the viewfinder is what you will get in your photo (plus a little bit, which is typical of most cameras including your film Rebel).

Thanks for the link Johnboy. Big Mike, that makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation!
I see the XSi is coming out in April, I'm thinking that will probably be my choice. My current digital is an Olympus SP-510UZ, so going to the XSi will be a large improvment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back