Recent fashion session.

Tee- You and 3 other people, myself included gave c&c on the OP's photos. Then you said "You're being critiqued by people who post a picture of a barn and silo and get pi$$ed off when they don't get glowing reviews."

You dont see how that is offensive?

You dont see how that is talking about OTHER people rather than the 3 that actually commented?

You dont see how it looks like you are trying to start trouble?

Anyway, it doesn't matter I guess.

I will stick with my opinion that the OP had some very pretty models to work with, but I feel he could have done a better job to showcase their beauty, with the posing, composition, and post processing.

that was the same model:mrgreen:

^ @missing the point :mrgreen:

I think the posing/composition is appropriate for current fashion trends, but I do NOT think that the lighting is; I would be VERY surprised to find lighting such as in #4 in any reputable fashion periodical. Certainly harsh lighting is a technique, and not a new one, BUT... there's harsh, and then there's blown.

Stylistically, you're in align with current trends of fashion photography so putting these images in context you did a great job. This forum sucks for current fashion photography trends as most are trained to see a hotspot and automatically dismiss it as a fail. They do not follow fashion, the photography, and what sells. Take the critique with a large grain of salt. You're being critiqued by people who post a picture of a barn and silo and get pi$$ed off when they don't get glowing reviews.

I have been on this forum long enough to tell you that you are more than right.

I think the posing/composition is appropriate for current fashion trends, but I do NOT think that the lighting is; I would be VERY surprised to find lighting such as in #4 in any reputable fashion periodical. Certainly harsh lighting is a technique, and not a new one, BUT... there's harsh, and then there's blown.

Here is the raw image for you to see,

4.jpg

do you see any blown highlights? maybe a little on her right side, nothing that can't be fixed. now ask you this question, do i really wanted these highlights blown in post processing? maybe.

I'm never quite sure if you're THAT guy or THAT OTHER guy, but let's assume I have correctly remembered who ghache is!

I assumed that everything in these was a conscious choice, you're good enough and in control of the process enough to make that happen. That's why I described them as experiments. I *do* recognize some fashion tropes in here, but I feel that you're pushing them quite a bit further than contemporary shooters are doing. More importantly, though, the overall feel of the shots is much more ad hoc than the fashion I look at. When a model is placed into an industrial background (which we see a lot of) there's the sense that the background was very very carefully selected and managed -- or that 10,000 frames were shot, and the 4 that felt the most "studied" were pulled out.

Your photos here don't feel studied, they feel very loose and thrown together. The half-dead trees are probably the clearest example -- rather than the carefully cut and placed tree branches from the high end florist, lovingly arranged in the studio, we see an actual half-dead tree and the model sort of.. stood up next to it, and partly behind it, and so on.

Perhaps this is the experiment, though? What happens if we combine fashion tropes with a guerilla/hit-and-run feel to the shoot? I dunno. It could be a thing, or become a thing. Fashion is nothing if not fickle.

It's pretty definitely NOT what I seeing in contemporary fashion photography, though.

I'm never quite sure if you're THAT guy or THAT OTHER guy, but let's assume I have correctly remembered who ghache is!

I assumed that everything in these was a conscious choice, you're good enough and in control of the process enough to make that happen. That's why I described them as experiments. I *do* recognize some fashion tropes in here, but I feel that you're pushing them quite a bit further than contemporary shooters are doing. More importantly, though, the overall feel of the shots is much more ad hoc than the fashion I look at. When a model is placed into an industrial background (which we see a lot of) there's the sense that the background was very very carefully selected and managed -- or that 10,000 frames were shot, and the 4 that felt the most "studied" were pulled out.

Your photos here don't feel studied, they feel very loose and thrown together. The half-dead trees are probably the clearest example -- rather than the carefully cut and placed tree branches from the high end florist, lovingly arranged in the studio, we see an actual half-dead tree and the model sort of.. stood up next to it, and partly behind it, and so on.

Perhaps this is the experiment, though? What happens if we combine fashion tropes with a guerilla/hit-and-run feel to the shoot? I dunno. It could be a thing, or become a thing. Fashion is nothing if not fickle.

It's pretty definitely NOT what I seeing in contemporary fashion photography, though.

You assume so much stuff, it become incoherent.

You see a half dead tree because we where shooting outdoor in the middle of half dead trees, where do you come out with the florist crap?

Please, stop

OK, I'm just an old fart and what's fashionable in photography and what's not goes right over my head. I'm not even much good on the technical side of photography, nor do I follow fashion magazines. I just know what I like and what I don't.

I like 7 and 8, quite a lot. The dead leaves on the tree do detract but the girl is simply stunning in these shots. The rest of the shots don't do anything for me, some even less than others - but I'll write that off as a matter of my personal taste.

hmmm...looks like you shot in full sun. And looks like you did a damn good job handling said lighting conditions. I agree #6 the light is a bit detsracting. I don't even mind the 'dead tree' so much as the streak of light across her leg. I think this is a gorgeous set.

Stylistically, you're in align with current trends of fashion photography so putting these images in context you did a great job. This forum sucks for current fashion photography trends as most are trained to see a hotspot and automatically dismiss it as a fail. They do not follow fashion, the photography, and what sells. Take the critique with a large grain of salt. You're being critiqued by people who post a picture of a barn and silo and get pi$$ed off when they don't get glowing reviews.

So what you are saying follow the crowd, if i shot this sort of thing i wouldn't be shooting like everyone else how do you think David Bailey made it. he shot 35mm when everyone else was using 6x6 Rollei's

You see a half dead tree because we where shooting outdoor in the middle of half dead trees, where do you come out with the florist crap?

Please, stop

Oh yeah, I remember you for sure, now.

Please, stop

Another very important aspect of becoming an artist is how to handle feedback that you don't like with grace and poise.

Please, stop

Another very important aspect of becoming an artist is how to handle feedback that you don't like with grace and poise.

I love feedback and have no problem with what was said..., i just have an hard time with this guy and he knows it. im pretty sure i am not the only one.:mrgreen:

Here is the raw image for you to see,

4.jpg

do you see any blown highlights? maybe a little on her right side, nothing that can't be fixed. now ask you this question, do i really wanted these highlights blown in post processing? maybe.

Okay, no blown highlights. Fine. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? That's NOT the image you posted for critique. If your processing choice was deliberate, that's fine, however I stand by my position that the lighting that in the image in your OP is not, IMO, appropriate for "mainstream" fashion. You're the photographer, it's your vision, you executed it to your satisfaction and that's great, but I disagree with you.

Most reactions

Back