Recent fashion session.

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by ghache, Oct 17, 2013.

1. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmmm...looks like you shot in full sun. And looks like you did a damn good job handling said lighting conditions. I agree #6 the light is a bit detsracting. I don't even mind the 'dead tree' so much as the streak of light across her leg. I think this is a gorgeous set.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    So what you are saying follow the crowd, if i shot this sort of thing i wouldn't be shooting like everyone else how do you think David Bailey made it. he shot 35mm when everyone else was using 6x6 Rollei's

3. amolitor

amolitor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh yeah, I remember you for sure, now.

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Another very important aspect of becoming an artist is how to handle feedback that you don't like with grace and poise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ghache

ghache No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love feedback and have no problem with what was said..., i just have an hard time with this guy and he knows it. im pretty sure i am not the only one.:mrgreen:

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, no blown highlights. Fine. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? That's NOT the image you posted for critique. If your processing choice was deliberate, that's fine, however I stand by my position that the lighting that in the image in your OP is not, IMO, appropriate for "mainstream" fashion. You're the photographer, it's your vision, you executed it to your satisfaction and that's great, but I disagree with you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. amolitor

amolitor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't have a problem with what I said, just with me? Oh yeah, I *definitely* remember you, now.

8. DanOstergren

DanOstergren TPF Supporters Supporting Member

If you see a half dead tree that does nothing to make the model or the clothing look good, then you could be making a mistake by posing your model next to it. Just because it's outdoor and that time of the season doesn't mean that you have no choice but to use the dead tree for a setting. Perhaps if the styling was more relevant to death or dying it would work, but in my personal opinion it does not work here and you should have made the decision to find a better setting for her. amolitor has a good point when he makes reference to the florist or prop/set designer taking a lot of care into choosing a good prop or set (in this case the closest reference is the ugly dead tree). Even you as the photographer could be contributing to a better photo by choosing to put her in a more flattering setting, and in all honesty you should be paying attention to these details, especially in fashion photography. Making the clothing and the model look as best you can is essential, and that tree does nothing but distract from both the clothes and the beauty of the model. The same can be said about the blown out highlights whether it was intentional or not. Perhaps there is a concept that you see that just doesn't translate to us and that is perfectly fine if this were a conceptual art piece, but you said it was fashion and that is how it is being critiqued.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. alexzobi

alexzobi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not poor critiquing that takes away from these forums. It's comments like that. Some people here are hobbyists. Many are experts. None deserve to be spoken about like that. As the mod said, it's up to the OP to take the critiques in their own way. I doubt Van Gogh took cracks at Da Vinci's work. Just a different style. To each, their own.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

The problem i see is the dresses are not very fashonable they look like something you would get off the market

• Like Like x 1