Recent Shot, C&C welcome

eddlum25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A walk in the city center yesterday yielded to this image. The day was overcast. The first thing in my mind before I took this image was the details that I can bring out in the wooden door and the status and that is what I did. What do you think. Is there anything I can do to bring out more texture in this picture? Please be harsh with your critique because that is how I learn.

ISO 160 f/4 1/125 at 50mm
Lens : Tamron 17-50 f.28
Image processed with Lightroom 4 Beta version.

6870043113_09f04caea6_b.jpg

Thank you for taking time to visit.

The overcast lighting creates soft light, but it's also flat light that really diminishes the perception of depth.

Some of that sense of depth can be brought back by selectively dodging and burning in the image. Unfortunately, Lightroom's ability to dodge and burn is pretty crude compared to what can be achieved using CS5.

When I see a pretty symmetrical shot, like this, I expect to find the most interesting thing(s) at the center.
But to me, these doors don't seem to be anything special, just doors.
Am I missing something?

i think this is a nice photo, however you should make sure both sides are cropped equally... the right side is cropped really close to the phone booth and the left has more space. Or... i agree with Mreid and just crop them both out.

Thank you for all your comments.

KmH, I see what you have done in the image, points taken and thank you again.

As others said, a little crop can go a long ways with a photo that has as good a foundation as this one does! I would suggest you go back sometime and try to reshoot it in HDR, just to really get every last bit of detail, and because I'm curious what it would look like in HDR :)

As others said, a little crop can go a long ways with a photo that has as good a foundation as this one does! I would suggest you go back sometime and try to reshoot it in HDR, just to really get every last bit of detail, and because I'm curious what it would look like in HDR :)

I might do it for you as well :)

I used Topaz 4 - Crisp, just for kicks. I also used Transform and roughly straightened your lines.
6870043113_09f04caea6_bcopy-1.jpg

I am pretty surprised at the responses here.
I don't see much in the original shot and the successive beatings this has taken with PS etc. have resulted in this last image being almost comic book in color and with not two parallel lines or square angles in the photo. (that may be an exaggeration but not by much)

Looks like all the pp are down to dodge and burn.

Taste differs. Its ok Traveler, really. I can accept that you hate a photo if you can accept that others like it. There isn't much technically wrong with it. Its in focus, its exposed ok, its composed almost interestingly, your only voiced beef with it is you don't like doors. Which is fine. You don't have to like doors.
And thats why I said "roughly straightened". I'm not going to spend more than a minute on an image intended only to give an idea of what I'm talking about. As for the "comic book" colors, its just a fun play kiddo, sometimes artists do that. And really, the colors aren't any different than the original.

Most reactions

Back