Rechargeable batteries?

PatrickJamesYu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What batteries are you guys using for your strobes?
I've been using Energizer, non rechargeable's since day one.

I've read before that rechargeable's, or some of them, actually have faster recycle times with flashes?
Is this true, and what batteries should I get?
The last time I used rechargeable it was for something not flash related and in my opinion it failed.
I'm hoping to find some rechargeable batteries that are reliable, hold a good charge, and are worth the money.

Thanks!

Purely from a practical standpoint I'd not use regular batteries for flashes simply because they will cost you an arm and a leg in the not to distant future - simply through volume of use you'll end up paying a lot! Rechargeable are the best way forward, however if you want them to really work well you'll want to get the new hybrid types which retain their charge over time. Enloop started the tech and quickly took a market lead with it, however most of the other brands now have their own hybrids on the market; but the Enloop are still very popular.

They are the batteries that will retain a large % of their charge even if left in the unit for a year without use, whereas regular rechargable batteries will fast drain down even without use, even over a few days. That makes for very unreliable batteries when you need them most. Capacity is the key thing and early Hyrbids were somewhat limited, though there are now much larger capacity ones on the market for not much more in cost.

Coupled with getting the proper batteries is getting a proper charger, the cheap ones that do charging in an hour or 30 mins are poor choices as fast recharging of batteries kills their longevity and many of the cheap rechargers don't cut off the charge (they just keep charging and draining at the same time till you turn the power off - very unhealthy for the battery if you were, say, to leave them charging overnight).
A good charging unit, such as those made by Powerrex/Maha, will offer you the ability to recharge at a much slower rate, and more advanced units even have ports to help recondition older, more worn, rechargeable batteries. These units will cost you a fair amount, but the saving, long term, is worth the cost; poorly charged rechargeable batteries will let you down and that means spending out more for emergency additional batteries when out and about.

Awesome thanks
Yeah my college student funds have not been ding so well with the regular batteries.
Luckly, I buy them through my work as we buy them through incredible bulk, I can get a deal
Though I still am looking for the rechargeable batteries.
Thanks for the info!

it's not enloop but eneloop (Sanyo Eneloop)

I got some 3800 mAH batteries on ebay. Do a search for CFL batteries and you'll get some good prices. Less than a buck each with free shipping. Here is one guy that sells them. He also has 16 and 32 batteries in his other auctions... 8 X CFL AA 3800mAh Rechargeable Battery NI-MH 1.2V | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm unless I missed it those are just regular, high capacity batteries, not the long life charge retaining ones?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back