Recomend me a zoom lens please

When I told my wife she gave me such a face I had to cancel this.........

One reason I'm damned happy to be unattached.

Last edited:
When I told my wife she gave me such a face I had to cancel this.........

One reason I'm damned happy to be attached.

If you would know how much I spent on toys the last few weeks you would understand why she gave me such a look.
She actually is very understanding but latly I was going on a spending spree as if I actually have the money to pay for all of this :)
She is a great lady and is the love of my life :)

You see I also like watches and those make a pro lens look like its a toy LOL

You will not be disappointed with Nikon 70-300 VR. I have got mine a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy - sharp, good contrast, good colors. The zoom ring is a bit stiff, probably because it is new. But otherwise I can not fault this lense at all. Not too big, not too heavy and contrary to what I have read it is still sharp at 300. And it has an impressive reach with a DX camera. I shot deer with this lense and even with this focal length they do not let you come close enough to them for a close-up. But it was sharp at 300 mm even after a crop. So I am very happy. And it shares same 67 mm filters with Nikon 16-85 VR.

What a long story this is.
I was pretty much set to get the Nikon, checked kijiji and found one for 350$, talked the seller down to 300$ and set a time to meet.
When I told my wife she gave me such a face I had to cancel this.
So after begging and pleading my wife I went back to the computer and looked up cheaper options.
Sigma and Tamron has non VR versions which look sharp enough for 200$ and less so I was ready to buy them but at the last moment I stopped, thought about this, I really want to get the Nikon so now my wife warmed up enough for the idea and I am safe to get the Nikon.

So....................

I found another guy from kijiji selling a Nikon 70-300mm VR for 300$ and I talked him down to 280$ so with some luck I will buy the lens from him sometime next week but as long as the lens is not hooked up to my camera I am not celebrating.

BTW I dont own the 16-85m VR lens, its a DX lens and I dont do DX lenses, I have the 24-85mm VR which is a fantastic lens and is my favorite lens which I mostly use.
I bought 16-85 used so hopefully will not lose much when I swap it for 24-85 when (and if) I move to FF. And my wife has not yet seen my new 70-300. I wonder how will she react when she sees this quite imposing piece of glass :)

Christopher Ward is my favourite. And as long as you are not deep into hi-fi where you start paying thousands of dollars fo some Kondo interconnects just to connect your precious turntable to your tube amp that cost obscene amounts of money, you are safe. I have been there - as a waste of money photography is nothing compared to hi-fi. Or hi-end as we called it.

Last edited:

Christopher Ward is my favourite. And as long as you are not deep into hi-fi where you start paying thousands of dollars fo some Kondo interconnects just to connect your precious turntable to your tube amp that cost obscene amounts of money, you are safe. I have been there - as a waste of money photography is nothing compared to hi-fi. Or hi-end as we called it.
I really know nothing about hi-fi and I never was deep into music, I do listen a lot to news but for music I go to youtube but thats it.
I know Christopher Ward, nice watches.
I moved from one watch collection to another and now I have landed into Rolex.
In the last month I got a Submariner and a Daytona so as I said I am actually lucky my wife is not kicking me out of bed.

the 70-300VR is a great lens.

like any lens, it is best stopped down a bit which unfortunately makes it a little slow but good luck getting something faster with that long of a focal length for anything near that price.

enjoy your trip! be out around dusk and especially dawn and you will see some animals to try your new lens on!

like any lens, it is best stopped down a bit which unfortunately makes it a little slow ..........

Well, Um......... like............ ALL lenses are 'made a little slow' when you stop them down.
5.gif

F/8 on the 70-300 is the same as f/8 on the 70-200.

like any lens, it is best stopped down a bit which unfortunately makes it a little slow but good luck getting something faster with that long of a focal length for anything near that price.

enjoy your trip! be out around dusk and especially dawn and you will see some animals to try your new lens on!

It will be grand to see some wild life.
We went to Algonquin park here in Ontario and saw black bears, beavers and moose.
Majestic animals, birds is another great item to shoot.
I am going to buy an extra 32GB card because since I started to shoot in RAW these files start building up pretty fast.
Of course Vancuver will be another great city to see and Wistler as well.

like any lens, it is best stopped down a bit which unfortunately makes it a little slow ..........

Well, Um......... like............ ALL lenses are 'made a little slow' when you stop them down.
5.gif

F/8 on the 70-300 is the same as f/8 on the 70-200.

yes of course, but stopping a 70-200 f/2.8 down 1 stop is still a faster lens than a 70-300 wide open @ f/5.6, 300mm let alone down a stop. So for wildlife he'd need better light, higher ISO, and/or a more still subject

goodguy: are you driving on your vacation? If you are headed from the Rockies to Whistler I'd recommend taking the Duffy Lake Rd. Take Kamloops > Cache Creek > Lillooet > Whistler > Vancouver. It is MUCH more scenic than taking the Coquihalla from Kamloops > Vancouver and then up to Whistler and is probably around the same driving time. In case you're not used to long, steep hills make sure to gear down on the big one between Lillooet and Pemberton because your brakes will heat up pretty good if you ride them on the way down.

Around the Rockies you see a lot of Elk. If you're around Kamloops and want to have a look for the Big Horn Sheep head a few minutes north on the Yellowhead #5 and either keep going to the Husky or make a right turn at the T'Kumlups Petro Can and drive along Shuswap Rd. for a bit. They are often on the mountain ridge that is just north of the South Thompson River and can be seen near the road or on the golf course. There are often bald eagles in the trees along the river as well. The sheep may be in the higher elevations in the summer but they are often quite easy to find driving by on the road.

There are plenty of bear and deer around just about everywhere. You can see moose down south but there are more of them further north. There aren't nearly as many of them as there were a few years ago though. The wolves have been taking a lot of them lately.

yes of course, but stopping a 70-200 f/2.8 down 1 stop is still a faster lens than a 70-300 wide open @ f/5.6, 300mm let alone down a stop. So for wildlife he'd need better light, higher ISO, and/or a more still subject..........

But in real life, how many people 'stop down just one stop from maximum'? Yeah, if you need f/4, the 70-300 ain't gonna do it for you. But most will pick an aperture based on sharpness and DOF requirements. If you need f/8, then it doesn't matter if you have an f/5.6, and f/4, an f/2.8 or even an f/0.57 lens. You still need f/8 for the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back