Recomend me a zoom lens please

This was shot with a humble D5100 and Nikon 70-300 at 300 mm, max open to f/5,6 and ISO 640 - and it was heavily cropped. Saved in PS as low quality JPEG. Still a useable IQ methinks.

$Deer FOR DSC_4623131505.jpg

Last edited:
the 70-300VR is a great lens.

like any lens, it is best stopped down a bit which unfortunately makes it a little slow ..........

yes of course, but stopping a 70-200 f/2.8 down 1 stop is still a faster lens than a 70-300 wide open @ f/5.6, 300mm let alone down a stop. So for wildlife he'd need better light, higher ISO, and/or a more still subject

I would say for wild life you need longer range more than anything. Not many wild animals will let you get close enough for a proper uncropped close-up shot with 300 mm even on DX. And sometimes it would be not safe anyway.

This was shot with a humble D5100 and Nikon 70-300 at 300 mm, max open to f/5,6 and ISO 640 - and it was heavily cropped. Saved in PS as low quality JPEG. Still a useable IQ methinks.

View attachment 45525
Beautiful picture and I think while is a bit soft under the circumstance its very impressive

yes of course, but stopping a 70-200 f/2.8 down 1 stop is still a faster lens than a 70-300 wide open @ f/5.6, 300mm let alone down a stop. So for wildlife he'd need better light, higher ISO, and/or a more still subject

I would say for wild life you need longer range more than anything. Not many wild animals will let you get close enough for a proper uncropped close-up shot with 300 mm even on DX. And sometimes it would be not safe anyway.

all in the wild, taken @ 55mm on a APS-C sensor

Grizzly Bear by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl protecting its catch by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Big Horn Sheep by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

but yes, a longer lens is handy :)

How did you shoot that with 55mm ? I woild have **** my pants.
PS I really liked your Flikr album, some stunning shots.
(EDIT: Not SOME stunning shots. ALL shots are ranged from beautiful to stunning to jaw dropping.)

Last edited:
Update

Got the Nikon 70-300mm VR yesterday didnt even got to mount it on my camera but be sure tommorow on my day off I will try it out.
First impression of the lens-ITS HUGE!!! :)

Thank you all for your help and helpful advice

How did you shoot that with 55mm ? I woild have **** my pants.
PS I really liked your Flikr album, some stunning shots.
(EDIT: Not SOME stunning shots. ALL shots are ranged from beautiful to stunning to jaw dropping.)

this one I actually took from my car, and even in a car my heart was racing a bit. He was just eating grass on the side of the road, he looked up at me and then just went back to eating grass.

the other ones I was on foot for.

Update

Got the Nikon 70-300mm VR yesterday didnt even got to mount it on my camera but be sure tommorow on my day off I will try it out.

I am sure you will like it! and for a 300mm lens it is actually on the small side!

Update

When compared to the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8's the 70-300mmVR is considered a small travel lens :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
... First impression of the lens-ITS HUGE!!! :)
The others are right. The 70-300 is considered to be a "Compact" telephoto lens, and it really is. My Sigma 150-500 is 16" long at 500mm with the lens hood in place, uses an 86mm front filter, and weighs 4.2 pounds. The 70-300 is 10" long at 300mm with the lens hood in place, uses a 67mm filter, and weighs 1.6 pounds.

The others are right. The 70-300 is considered to be a "Compact" telephoto lens, and it really is. My Sigma 150-500 is 16" long at 500mm with the lens hood in place, uses an 86mm front filter, and weighs 4.2 pounds. The 70-300 is 10" long at 300mm with the lens hood in place, uses a 67mm filter, and weighs 1.6 pounds.
That really makes my lens looks like a feather weight LOL

That really makes my lens looks like a feather weight LOL
I have the same lens so I understand your comment. Coming from a short lens it does seem huge, but after a using my Sigma it's like going back to a kit lens ;)

I really do like that 70-300, and use mine a lot. That range works very well for most of what I shoot and mine spends a lot of time on my camera. You'll enjoy it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back