Recommend a bag?

Mena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Fellas and Felladettes(?),

I'm in the market for a new camera/notebook bag. I was hoping some of you here would share what you guys carry and how you like it.
I'm looking for a bag, preferably in the sling backpack configuration, where I can carry a 7D (which soon will be gripped) with 50mm 1.4 ready to shoot. 430exII, 28-135, and a 17.3in laptop. so any recommendations would be great!

p.s I heard someone say its not good to carry a ready to shoot camera in a backback with the lens facing down because it can strip the mount screws, is this something thats poses an actual problem?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Mena

Tenba messenger bag. It can fit gripped body with lens plus additional lenses, flash, laptop, etc. has a zipper on top of bag to shoot out of. Excellent bag. Some of the reviews on amazon say that you can't fit a body and lens but you can. I know of 2 other people on this forum who have bought it. I have a laptop, camera with lens on, 3 additional lenses, 2 speedlights and various other things in it. Tons of pockets - inside is customizable. The shoulder strap is really thick and doesn't slide at all.

Choosing a camera bag is largely a personal decision. I always recommend that people find a well stocked camera store and get their hands on some bags.

Many years ago, I looked a bunch of bags on-line and in catalogs. I had picked the one I thought that I wanted. I went into the camera store to buy it and didn't like it one bit. it was too small, the layout was weird...it just wasn't right for me. So I looked around and bought a different one...one that I hadn't considered at all before then.

I can't think of any sling style bags that are meant to carry a laptop as well...but they might exist. The backpack bag that I've got, is the Lowepro Computrekker AW. It has a laptop sleeve and plenty of room for camera storage, plus extra storage in the back/lid. I've traveled the world with this bag and it's been pretty good. Although, I dislike the shape/style as a backpack, it's like a big lump on my back. Also, it has to be taken off and pretty much laid flat to open the lid and access the gear. That's certainly not idea, and that is where a sling style bag would have an advantage.

I can certainly recommend Lowepro bags. I have a few of them and they are pretty good. Also check out Tenba, Tamerack, Crumpler etc.

As for a lens pulling the mount/screws out of a camera...I won't say it's impossible, but I'd guess that it's very rare and would take some pretty extraneous circumstances. Most camera bags are pretty customizable. If you don't like the layout, you can change it pretty easily.

Big Mike said:
Choosing a camera bag is largely a personal decision. I always recommend that people find a well stocked camera store and get their hands on some bags.

Many years ago, I looked a bunch of bags on-line and in catalogs. I had picked the one I thought that I wanted. I went into the camera store to buy it and didn't like it one bit. it was too small, the layout was weird...it just wasn't right for me. So I looked around and bought a different one...one that I hadn't considered at all before then.

I can't think of any sling style bags that are meant to carry a laptop as well...but they might exist. The backpack bag that I've got, is the Lowepro Computrekker AW. It has a laptop sleeve and plenty of room for camera storage, plus extra storage in the back/lid. I've traveled the world with this bag and it's been pretty good. Although, I dislike the shape/style as a backpack, it's like a big lump on my back. Also, it has to be taken off and pretty much laid flat to open the lid and access the gear. That's certainly not idea, and that is where a sling style bag would have an advantage.

I can certainly recommend Lowepro bags. I have a few of them and they are pretty good. Also check out Tenba, Tamerack, Crumpler etc.

As for a lens pulling the mount/screws out of a camera...I won't say it's impossible, but I'd guess that it's very rare and would take some pretty extraneous circumstances. Most camera bags are pretty customizable. If you don't like the layout, you can change it pretty easily.

I do have to agree. There aren't any camera stores around me do I searched on-line for a bag. The bag that I ended up with was one that I had decided not to get when searching on-line. I went out of state for the weekend and found a camera store that had a good selection of bags. I am really happy with the bag I got but if I had only searched online who knows what I would've gotten!

Tamrac has back pacs that the straps can be changed into sling bags for either shoulder. Has a side opening to allow a ready to shoot camera to be slid out of.
I have the Evolution 8 and it fits my 60D gripped w/ a Tamron 70/200 f2.8 lens attached.
Tamrac - Evolution Series

photojojo.com has some great camera bags but I'm not sure what the can fit, but they also have a bunch of cool photo stuff.

Thanks people, Im digging the Crumpler Customary Barge Deluxe but thats a pretty penny. I'll stop at Wolf Camera tomorrow after Muay Thai practice. Thanks again.
Juless I'll check out that site tonight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back