What's new

Recommend Studio lighting kit, semi-cheap?

I have never been one of those "single light and a reflector" advocates, and now that we are in the digital age, and there is a HUGE amount of instruction available, plus free "developing" with digital capture, and now that there are affordable monolights and speedlights galore, lighting has never been more accessible. it makes very little sense any more to begin the old-fashioned way, with a cube and a cylinder and a ball made of wood, and one light...and to shoot, then take the film in to have it processed, for review four hours later (E-6 slide in a ig city or large town) to 10 days later (Kodachrome sent out for processing). It's now possible to use the camera and four lights to "walk your way into" a very good four-light setup. Progress today can be made very rapidly, and so to me, it makes sense to work on being able to light and shoot using classic three-, four, and five-light setups. So...yeah...I have heard of the one light + reflector method. I started with three lights and a 1600 watt-second power pack, plus reflector panels. Before long, I had a six-light setup...it's really not all "that" uncommon to want to use six light heads on a simple family group shot.


If I had a dime for every time I was told, "Learn how to use a single light and reflector first....", when I was first starting.... I'd have a couple D3x's. I never listened though, and bought a four light setup right out the box.

Why are you so different?

Not that its a bad thing.... I like your method of thinking. If its there, and available, why not use it?

But of all the 'pro's' whose brains I've picked... you're about the only one I can think of that has this mentality.
 
I have never been one of those "single light and a reflector" advocates, and now that we are in the digital age, and there is a HUGE amount of instruction available, plus free "developing" with digital capture, and now that there are affordable monolights and speedlights galore, lighting has never been more accessible. it makes very little sense any more to begin the old-fashioned way, with a cube and a cylinder and a ball made of wood, and one light...and to shoot, then take the film in to have it processed, for review four hours later (E-6 slide in a ig city or large town) to 10 days later (Kodachrome sent out for processing). It's now possible to use the camera and four lights to "walk your way into" a very good four-light setup. Progress today can be made very rapidly, and so to me, it makes sense to work on being able to light and shoot using classic three-, four, and five-light setups. So...yeah...I have heard of the one light + reflector method. I started with three lights and a 1600 watt-second power pack, plus reflector panels. Before long, I had a six-light setup...it's really not all "that" uncommon to want to use six light heads on a simple family group shot.


If I had a dime for every time I was told, "Learn how to use a single light and reflector first....", when I was first starting.... I'd have a couple D3x's. I never listened though, and bought a four light setup right out the box.

Why are you so different?

Not that its a bad thing.... I like your method of thinking. If its there, and available, why not use it?

But of all the 'pro's' whose brains I've picked... you're about the only one I can think of that has this mentality.

I started off with 1 light. And that was purely due to finances at the time. But I am in agreement with Derrel. If you have the resources to buy a larger set why not. Using a reflector is nothing but using a non powered light! Same principles are involved using a reflector as using a light. So, I don't believe there is any additional learning experience by starting with just a reflector. Now if a person only has one light and does not have the funds to buy a second. I will suggest to get a reflector. But if money is not an issue, and a person knows what they want, and what they want to do. Then I see no reason not to buy a full set right off the bat. That is how I bought my 2nd camera set. I bought a very good body and several f/2.8 lenses or better all in 1 shot. I knew what I wanted and why I wanted them.
 
I have never been one of those "single light and a reflector" advocates, and now that we are in the digital age, and there is a HUGE amount of instruction available, plus free "developing" with digital capture, and now that there are affordable monolights and speedlights galore, lighting has never been more accessible. it makes very little sense any more to begin the old-fashioned way, with a cube and a cylinder and a ball made of wood, and one light...and to shoot, then take the film in to have it processed, for review four hours later (E-6 slide in a ig city or large town) to 10 days later (Kodachrome sent out for processing). It's now possible to use the camera and four lights to "walk your way into" a very good four-light setup. Progress today can be made very rapidly, and so to me, it makes sense to work on being able to light and shoot using classic three-, four, and five-light setups. So...yeah...I have heard of the one light + reflector method. I started with three lights and a 1600 watt-second power pack, plus reflector panels. Before long, I had a six-light setup...it's really not all "that" uncommon to want to use six light heads on a simple family group shot.


If I had a dime for every time I was told, "Learn how to use a single light and reflector first....", when I was first starting.... I'd have a couple D3x's. I never listened though, and bought a four light setup right out the box.

Why are you so different?

Not that its a bad thing.... I like your method of thinking. If its there, and available, why not use it?

But of all the 'pro's' whose brains I've picked... you're about the only one I can think of that has this mentality.

To learn how light works and to fit into a lot of beginner's budgets. It's not like they're advocating that you buy one light and that's all you'll ever need. Zack Arias devotes a whole workshop to using one light, but you can be assured that he uses more than one light, especially when he's getting paid. One light can be great in the fact that it costs <$300 to get one off camera speedlight and the necessary equipment to go from being a completely natural light shooter to being able to have some control over entirely changing the way you photograph. And with one light, you'll be able to see how using different modifiers and positions affect the photo.

So even if you're just starting out and you manage to luch into a 5 light setup, I think beginners should take the time to familiarize themselves with just using one light so they can see how lighting works and then start adding extra lights in.

I did a shoot last weekend that ended up being pretty terrible. It was mainly because I had one old broken light stand and the rest were in the trunk of my car, which was at the body shop, so I was limited to using only one light with two people while shooting in daylight. I just couldn't get the look I wanted.
 
Wow that is the first time I've heard someone say start with more than 1 light. I think I might pick up a few more of those adorama flashpoints. I have one mobile light set up. but man I wish I had 5 to take out, I didn't realize how cheap those adorama ones are. haha, we should set up a group buy.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom