recommendation for point and shoot camera. no AA battery type. Want a rechargable.

moey1888

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We are looking for well priced simple point and shoot camera. No AA battery type. Want rechargeable type
Lithium? Battery. Has to be very simple for husband. Has to fit well in mans hand.

Most online stores, do not list details of the cameras. I have to or want to know power source.
Is that so much to ask?

Most online stores, do not list details of the cameras. I have to or want to know power source.
Is that so much to ask?

A quality store like B&H Photo will list the power source unter the 'specifications' tab for each camera!
Point & Shoot Cameras | B&H Photo Video

My Canon P&S does use AA batteries. Alkalines do not last long, but a set of 'eneloops' have a very long life and
they stay charged over periods of non-use. For me. it's the ideal power solution.

Last edited:
I'm partial to my Canon G15. I bought one a couple of months ago when it was on sale at $299. It went back on sale and off again in the past couple of weeks at B&H. But it pays to keep watching.

The advantage of the G-series is I have complete control over it, including full manual and any of the priority mode settings. It does incredibly well, even when compared with my 5D mark iii.

It's also got a rechargeable battery, not AA batteries. I'd rather have AAs, as I can always buy some in an emergency if I forget my recharger for the Eneloops that I have in my flash and other electronic devices. As it turns out, I did just that...forgot my charger for the G15 and took 2 chargers for my gripped 5D3 on vacation with me last week. The G15 made it through about 1/2 my vacation before the battery died at 400 pix or so.

You need to give us a budget and the expertise level of your husband (as in the intended use of the camera) before people can suggest something seriously. There are a huge number of camera even in the P&S market intended for very different users, and theirs no one size fit all solution.

You need to give us a budget and the expertise level of your husband (as in the intended use of the camera) before people can suggest something seriously. There are a huge number of camera even in the P&S market intended for very different users, and theirs no one size fit all solution.

I never understood why "expertise" was ever to be considered.
As if beginners can only have a certain camera.
The only thing that really matters, is the budget.

There are rechargeable Li-Ion AA and AAA batteries. Just sayin'.

Sure, a beginner can have any camera he likes. But what if his intended use is just to take family portraits, he'd rather just use the auto features and may not prefer spending time learning the craft. It's personal preference really!
If he's an expert, he'd already have a decent camera and a P&S may not be of that of much value to him. May be we can then guide the lady to purchase a decent lens instead of a camera, who may or may not have any idea about photography.

But maybe he just want's to learn and be an expert someday, in which case surely go ahead and buy the best gear you can afford. But even then a P&S doesn't make any sense as he'd prefer a DSLR/SLR ideally. Also in which case he'd have a preference of what he loves to shoot. Maybe he prefers street photography, so get him a smaller camera. But maybe he prefers wildlife, so get him a super-zoom. The expertise and the intended usage of the camera again comes into the picture big time.

In a more likely scenario, he doesn't care much about photography and just wants something to take family portraits with. In which case we can save the couple a lot of money and suggest a cheap & decent P&S, maybe something like the sony cybershot wx50, which is an amazing camera for about 160$.
The expertise or at least the intended expertise and the intended usage has as much a role to play in the selection of a new camera as any other feature does. Even more so in this scenario as the intended user is not the one making the inquiry.

Note: I'm not trying to argue with you, this is just my opinion.

I'm own a D800. I have a degree in photography.
That doesn't mean a P&S is worthless to me. In fact, I use my P&S more than I use my
D800. You're making way too many assumptions and blanket statements.

The OP asked for a P&S. The only thing that really matters, is budget at this point.

The Canon G15 as mentioned is an excellent camera and I highly recommend it. .

I'm own a D800. I have a degree in photography.
That doesn't mean a P&S is worthless to me. In fact, I use my P&S more than I use my
D800. You're making way too many assumptions and blanket statements.

The OP asked for a P&S. The only thing that really matters, is budget at this point.

The Canon G15 as mentioned is an excellent camera and I highly recommend it. .

I've actually not made any blanket statements at all, instead I was trying to be as specific as possible. The only assumption you can say is where I say that a P&S may not be of that of much value to him if he's an expert, with a big emphasis on "may". The G15 is an excellent-excellent camera for indoor shooting, but you're assuming that his intended usage doesn't involve shooting from longer distances. If he's into wildlife photography like I'm, he'd rather prefer a superzoom like fz200 or sx50 any day over the G15.

My point being, without knowing "the expertise level of your husband (as in the intended use of the camera)" we can not give a sound suggestion.

I respect your opinion and I rest my case before the discussion turns into an argument. :)

Last edited:

There's a huge range of P&S cameras. Take, for example, the Canon G16 or whatever the newest incarnation is. It has some more advanced controls and a hot shoe (well, the last one I played with did) for a flash. Some of the Gxx line have had real viewfinders (not reflex finders, but still) along with the live view. But also in that price range are several cameras that offer no control at all other than the shutter. That's it. I think Raj meant area of expertise, not so much his skill level.

Edit: it looks like Raj said it himself. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back