Recommendation for wide angle and macro lens for the Rebel Xti?

Hi,

I'm thinking to try out a normal lens first and maybe a wide angle lens. I'll skip the macro lens for now.

Is there a better alternative to the standard one (EF-S 18-55)? I don't mind paying more for it.

Thankyou

The Tamron 17-50 F/2.8XR is an excellent upgrade from the standard kit lens. As posted above, it's 2.8 max aperture throughout the focal length range, which you simply can't get with an inexpensive lens. I use one on my D80 and get consistently great results. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was around $425-450.

Hi,

I'm leaning towards buying the Tamron now :) Any good online places that sell it? I saw it on Amazon for about $430.

Thanks!

Hi,

My shortlist so far is

- Tamron 17-50 F2.8
- Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5
- Sigma 18-50 F2.8

Out of the two Sigmas which one would be considered better?

well.. the question is, is the tamron or sigma 17-50 better? The Sigma 17-70 is different. I went for that for two reasons, I wanted the longer zoom range and it can focus a lot closer. No doubt having 2.8 throughout the range is nice, just depends what you need.

I'm leaning towards buying the Tamron now Any good online places that sell it? I saw it on Amazon for about $430.
I'd go with B&H or Adorama...they are probably the safest on-line stores and the prices are fair.

If you use a link from this site when you buy...you would be helping to support this forum :thumbup:

Hi,

Thanks :) I'll definitely go through the link. Is it just a matter of clicking it and buying the items? Or do I need to do anything else? Their prices seem decent to me as well so I might as well get the camera from them too.

I've decided to get the Rebel Xti with the Tamron lens. I guess I'm going to need a memory card and a case. Is there anything else I've forgotten?

Ah yes and lighting. Since the products I need to take photos of are small whats the best (and preferably portable) solution for it?

I'm so glad I found this forum as it has been a big help particularly as I've been in a hurry. Thanks everyone!

Hi,

I'm leaning towards buying the Tamron now :) Any good online places that sell it? I saw it on Amazon for about $430.

Thanks!

Amazon links to Adorama. Adorama's where I ordered mine from. They're a very good, solid company. Like the man said, link up through here and you support The Photo Forum.

Is it just a matter of clicking it and buying the items? Or do I need to do anything else?
I think that's all you need to do. We appreciate it, thanks.

Ah yes and lighting. Since the products I need to take photos of are small whats the best (and preferably portable) solution for it?
The options are almost unlimited.
I took these shots with just a white piece of paper taped to my desk...and a hot-shoe flash.
IMG_0747-web.jpg

IMG_0740-web.jpg

For nice even lighting for small products...a small light tent would probably be best. You could light it with desk lamps or whatever. A tripod would also be helpful.

Hi,

Check these out. Quite a selection. Enjoy. I've always found product photography to be fun.

http://www.adorama.com/Search-Results.tpl?page=searchresults&searchinfo=light%20tent

Oops. That link doesn't go to the right place. Just type in "light tent" in the search. Also, if you call their 800 number, one of their salespeople can help you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back