Recommendation needed - camera for ice hockey

GoalieMom31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for suggestions/recommendations for a decent camera for taking pictures of indoor youth ice hockey. I've only ever used point and shoot cameras and my latest being a Canon SX 50.

I don't have a brand preference and my budget needs to be under $1,500.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The new Nikon D7200, top of the line excellent crop sensor camera.
BTW get a fast glass with it like a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 non OS, in these conditions any camera you will use with slow glass you will not get good results.

If this is above your budget then get the Nikon D7100, pretty close to the D7200 but has a smaller buffer, as a guy who owned this camera for over a year I can tell you with some practice you can learn to use camera very efficiantly even in sports shooting.
But as I said no matter what camera you choose you must get a fast zoom lens to get a lot of light on the sensor.

Unfortunetedly, the sport sector is among the most expensive one for photography. Here some budget options, still a bit over your budget:

Unfortunetedly, the sport sector is among the most expensive one for photography. Here some budget options, still a bit over your budget:
Yes this is indeed above the price OP mentioned.

As I said the D7100 has a fantastic auto focus system and other then the smaller buffer it will be good for your needs, with some practice you will learn how to work very well with this camera and it will be considerably cheaper then the new D7200.
As for a lens, the 70-200mm lenses-all of them cost a lot but as I said a used Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (non OS) is worth around 500$, only question is if you are comfortable buying used.
I believe you can get a new D7100+a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 for less then 1500$ but be sure that its a Sigma with a Nikon mounting!!!

Yes this is indeed above the price OP mentioned.

As I said the D7100 has a fantastic auto focus system and other then the smaller buffer it will be good for your needs, with some practice you will learn how to work very well with this camera and it will be considerably cheaper then the new D7200.
As for a lens, the 70-200mm lenses-all of them cost a lot but as I said a used Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (non OS) is worth around 500$, only question is if you are comfortable buying used.
I believe you can get a new D7100+a used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 for less then 1500$ but be sure that its a Sigma with a Nikon mounting!!!

Good to know! Thanks for the recommendations!

Well you will need that f2.8 to get more light for indoor sports. Unfortunatley slower glass just cant cut it with indoor lighting.

Went to a hockey game few months ago and my camera was working hard to keep everything sharp and crisp.
While to the human eyes it looks like you have lots of light on the ice to the camera it doesnt, I admit I didnt just went for the game but also everything that surroundd it, the key to get the shot is fast shutter speed and you need lots of light to keep the shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action.
As I said slow lenses already limit the amount of light coming to your sensor so you will need raise the ISO so high to keep up with the action your pictures will come very noisy and grainy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back