Recommendations for a reflector holder

SHaller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a reflector the other day and after a day of using it, I found it to be a pain to get perfect light while holding it myself. Since an assistant isn't an option, I guess I need a reflector holder. I was looking at a cheap arm from amazon(Amazon.com: Fotodiox Telescoping Reflector Holding Arm, Holds 22" to 60" reflector Disc: Camera & Photo) and there seems to be plenty of decent low priced light stands to go around. Does anyone have any recommendations for any set ups? Or should i invest in something a little nicer?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My main concern with that would be how light it is. A 60" inch, or even a 24" reflector catches a LOT of air if it's even a little breezy. You'll need a LOT of weight on that to hold it steady in the wind. There really is no substitute for a remote-controlled, voice-activated reflector holder.

Agree with Tirediron here. If you've taken your reflector outside it should be pretty apparent that nothing is really going to hold it very reliably unless it's got a LOT of weight to it... and by then you may as well pack around a soft box instead. I can't suggest anything for indoor use, since I don't use mine stationary, but I'm sure someone else will chime in about that.

I actually didn't even think about reflectors pretty much becoming sails. If I were to get the stand weighed down, would a reflector arm still be able to hold it in the position I want it in?

If you have no assistant the potato chip style reflectors are tough to hold outside with just a holder. You can look into the California Sunbounce California Sunbounce USA: SUN-BOUNCE with a decent frame, mounted on a C-Stand or a stiffer style reflector.
-
I've seen this one on the net, I do not have one because I have the Sunbounce but they also look like they have a decent setup for what you are trying to do.
Using the TriGrip Bracket « Lastolite School of Photography
-
Shoot well, Joe

Those look pretty cool. Something I'll look into. A tri grip reflector is on my to buy list, but the problem i was coming across was not being able to reflect the light accurately when i was farther away from the model.

Most reactions

Back