Recommended Lens

Chris531

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I was just wondering what lens you recommend for Nature photography? It needs to be attachable to me Canon EOS Rebel K2.

Its a pretty vague question... how much are you willing to spend. What type of wildlife are you planning on shooting... do you want a zoom lens or a fixed focal length....

Without the answer I would say off the top of my head...

Zooms:
Canon 100-400L
Tamron 200-500 (Canon Mount)
Sigma Bigma 50-500 (Canon Mount)

Primes:
Canon 400L (f/5.6)
Sigma 500/4.5
Canon 500/4.5L
Canon 500/4L IS
Canon 600/4L IS

I shoot with both the 500/4L and the Sigma Bigma... obviously the Sigma wont match the IQ of my big white Canon... but its really much better for the price... and has a nice zoom ratio...

There is a Canon 1200mm F5.6 L USM...;)

The Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L lens is a professional EF lens made by Canon that was introduced in 1993, six years after the launch of EOS cameras, and discontinued in 2005. The initial price for this lens was US$89,579. It weighs more than 36 pounds (16 kg), comes with its own heavy-duty tripod and case, and was built only by request. The focal length can be increased to 1700 mm f/8 or 2400 mm f/11 using the Canon EF Extenders 1.4× and 2× respectively. There are believed to be around a dozen of the EF 1200 mm lenses in existence. Sports Illustrated magazine owns two of them, as does Canon Professional Services and James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley.

That 1200 is 1920 on my Rebel Xt!! That would be sweet.

I am looking for a zoom lens and I guess ALL wildlife. Thanks for what you guys gave me though As for price range...not to brag but I am loaded so it doesn't matter.

I am looking for a zoom lens and I guess ALL wildlife. Thanks for what you guys gave me though As for price range...not to brag but I am loaded so it doesn't matter.

LOL yeah we are all loaded... with camera gear that is... first off IF you are loaded look into the Canon 500L if you want to handhold your shots... or 600L if you want to use a tripod/monopod all the time...

as per the 1200L? there was one for sale on Fred Miranda a ways back (whoa) for a meak $50k if my memory serves me well...

yea i am not big into tripods and such...too much work to carry around and i am pretty lazy. 1200l for 50k....wow...thats alot for a lens. see i am a noob to photography so i am going to ask a question that might get a lot of laughs. is there such thing as like a 10000 mm lens or somthing insane like that not that ill buy it but im just wondering..

is there such thing as like a 10000 mm lens or somthing insane like that not that ill buy it but im just wondering..
Sure...they call it a telescope :D

I don't know much about telescopes...but most camera lenses are complex in that they attempt to correct the distortion caused by the light going though the lens. Telescopes don't necessarily need to make those corrections...which is why you don't see many people strapping telescopes to their cameras. The exception would be astrophotography.

Just remember, most lenses can be coulped to a 2x converter, so some 500mm can be 1600mm ( 2x 500 = 1000 plus 1.6 crop i believe )

But definate tripod and remote for this eh!!

yea i am not big into tripods and such...too much work to carry around and i am pretty lazy. 1200l for 50k....wow...thats alot for a lens. see i am a noob to photography so i am going to ask a question that might get a lot of laughs. is there such thing as like a 10000 mm lens or somthing insane like that not that ill buy it but im just wondering..

Its funny you ask that... no they dont make a 10000mm lens... but hey.. what about a 5200mm lens? Its too bad it only comes in Canons older FD mount...

page10.jpg

Just remember, most lenses can be coulped to a 2x converter, so some 500mm can be 1600mm ( 2x 500 = 1000 plus 1.6 crop i believe )

But definate tripod and remote for this eh!!

Just remember... its NOT actually 1600mm... the field of view (FOV) gives it the effect of a perceived focal length of that long... because the smaller sensor does not record fully to the outsides of the lenses... but its still 500mm (or 1000mm with the 2x TCII)...

holy crap! does that lens have a rifle scope on it???? maybe im just a noob...well guys I think im gonna get a 600L so thanks guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back