Red Boat & Ropes - C&C please

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for input on composition, lighting, whatever.
Thanks for looking,
Jon

I love the colors and the composition is good! I tried cropping out the top of the pic (removing the boat) and that looks cool too!

Thanks, icassell.

I'd be interested in seeing your crop if you wouldn't mind posting it.

Jon

Thanks, icassell.

I'd be interested in seeing your crop if you wouldn't mind posting it.

Jon

Will have to do it when I get home (no PS here at work ...)

I just held a piece of paper over the image on my monitor :)

ropecrop.jpg

LOL -- I did it on Picassa ... not perfect, but you get the idea ...

Thanks, but I definitely prefer the boat (and houses and sky) included. :mrgreen:

Jon

I like the "canvas background" aspect of those houses, they are in a slight haze and therefore look a little unreal to me, which is interesting. The colours of the ropes are so much strong in comparison.
I prefer the composition of the original photo, the quay wall cuts a nice diagonal line through the photo, the heaps of rope have a nice element of repetion and something like a vanishing point, too, in so far as they get smaller and smaller the further they are away.

If I were to consider a crop at all, I'd crop below the numbers 00069 on the boat. The photo feels different then (no more person to be seen, and no "canvas background").

The background does look like a canvas or mural. Or is it HDR? Not sure how I fell about it. As for cropping I would cut off the bottom to make more of a 4x5 format

Nice picture.
IMO, there's too much at the top, which distracts
from the main composition.

This is how I'd crop it –

th_CopyofJonAre.jpg

This way, there's a (mirror image of a) 'Z', which
creates homogenous composition and "connectivity".

Last edited:
This is how I'd crop it –

Hmmm....I really like that, Ben.

Thanks,

Jon

Here's a cropped version similar to Ben's; which do y'all prefer?

Original:

I prefer the cropped version -- I think that's more like what I was aiming for (but missed) when I offered my crop. I think the houses at the top add a second subject and are distracting. All-in-all, I really like the image.

I like the original the best. Nice picture, almost looks like it was taken on a movie set or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back