Red Riding Hood

BrieKayee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I took my friend Georgia once again out on a photoshoot. We went for more of a Red Riding Hood shoot :) Feedback appreciated

Attachments

• $_MG_7039.jpg
    $_MG_7039.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • $_MG_7048edit2.jpg
    $_MG_7048edit2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • $_MG_7066.jpg
    $_MG_7066.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
For future reference, please number your images to make critique easier.

This set seems very similar to your Pocohantas set. The first image has captured a good expression, but once again, excessive DoF has made the background too busy. I would also have much preferred this in vertical so that the top of her head was not cropped off.
The middle is the strongest of the three, 'though it appears slightly under-exposed. It is very noisy and seems to suffer slightly from motion blur. Once again more light would have helped a LOT!

The last image doesn't work for me at all. There's no obvious reason for the selective colour, and with the excessive mid-tones of the monochrome area, I actually have to look twice to see that there is a person there.
I would definitely reconsider the processing on this one.

Overall, you're certainly developing your own look & style which is a good thing, but I think you really need to look into some supplemental lighting. Even a single speedlight & SB would have made a HUGE difference here.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I agree with tired iron.

I try to stay away from selective coloring, but if you decide you are going to do it.. you gotta nail the edges.. and the top right shoulder looks to have some grey in there.

#1 framing is a bit odd.. and shadows are very dark on cheek and throat. Frame vertically.. use flash or reflector to lighten shadows
#2 very yellow.. processing? Flash would help here a lot
#3 Selective color? Doesn't work here. No real subject.. big red blotch. Her head / hair are too close to the background in color, it just blends in.. No eyes, no face... nothing to hold viewers attention. Branches in front are distracting.

Interesting. I think #3 is the only one that's much good here. There are technical problems, as noted, but I like the idea pretty well and your execution is pretty good.

I would:

1) clean up the edges of the selective color, as noted.
2) frame more loosely, so she is a bit smaller in the frame, and more importantly the cloak is entirely in-frame.
3) get more stuff between you and her, so it's clear that We are Watching Her through a veil of trees and branches.

You might try a vignette, and/or shallow depth of field. You're after, I assume, the wolf's eye view of the girl, so the monochrome makes sense. Now try to imagine how a predator sees the prey, and emphasize that. I imagine it as a sort of tunnel-vision, where everything goes black except the prey. You may have a different idea, though.

Is it within your budget to get some extra lighting (like a flash)? If not, maybe you could pick up a cheap flashlight or two and strategically attach them to the trees. It would give you more interesting lighting and aid in noise reduction.

Not a fan of selective color, I just never think it looks good no matter who the photog is.

Be careful with your post processing and relying too heavily on photo filters. A lot of the time it takes away more from the photo than it adds.

That said, the first shot is my favorite :)

Most reactions

Back