Red Shoulder Hawk, on the Hunt

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Saw this Red Shoulder Hawk Swoop across the swamp at Magnolia Gardens. It was looking for food and could care less about me. I was able to walk the boardwalk and walking trails enough to follow it around as it went from perch to perch.

after a few spot i gave it a rest and went back to photographing other wildlife in a different spot. All of a sudden I look up and the hawk is basically 20 feet right in front of me. I usher to my friend to come over here, shortly after they hear our shutters clicking about 5 or so photographers notice, and rush over.

Really this hawk could care less, there were probably 5 or 6 of us, some within 15-20 feet of the hawk and it just sat there, then I dove down into a bunch of brush, so I couldn't get a good photo, and went back up to its spot again.

It didn't come away with dinner during the time I was watching it, but it sure did give it a good go.

oh and D800E & 500mm f4, yeah I like the E better than the 800, the detail really shows up with cropping.

1)
chuckhawk_1.jpg

2)
chuckhawk_2.jpg

3)
chuckhawk_3.jpg

4)
chuckhawk_4.jpg

5)
chuckhawk_5.jpg

Mathew, nice shots - too bad about the clipped wings in #3, but that is what we have to put up with when shooting birds. My only nit would be that all your subjects are in the centre of the image. A better composition is to use the rule of thirds so that subjects appear to be looking, flying, walking into the other third of the image. The only one where this might not be applyas a compositional element is #4, which is a great portrait image - IMHO.

WesternGuy

Really really beautiful. I especially love number 2.

Excellent! Especially #2.

Thanks all. Its a fine line between what works in a crop and where the bird almost disappears.

I try to put the bird slightly off center or an eye or head in the 3rds. Sometimes i only have so much canvas to work from. I do agree these images are slightly more centered than usual. I went this route for various reason including background elements and branches, as well as size of subject in the canvas.

ALL great shots!! I kinda like #4 the best.

Some really nice shots in there but #3 is great !!!! Love the pose, you timed that perfect :thumbup:

3 is the money maker!! 1 is also very detailed in the feathers. 2 is also awesome, but a bit busy in the background.

That is one cute hawk!! Great job!

Superb shots! & The rule of thirds was made to be broken. :D Lee

Wow, these are great! I think the clipping #3 is very substantial!

Wow, these are great! I think the clipping #3 is very substantial!

yeah I really had to much lens at the time. it would have been better with a little less lens, with wings wide open it was cutting it very close, and with a fast moving bird pretty hard to keep it all in frame. also these FF sensor AF points don't go all the way to the edge so you have to be careful in that regard as well

Look at the little birdie! haha ya cute lil guy. #4 is def the best for pose I think, shows his personality the most.

Most reactions

Back