Redo of the daughter in the tree pics. C&C if you want. :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by misstwinklytoes, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nothing but you missed focus or your shutter speed was too slow, can't you tell these are soft ?

2. misstwinklytoes

misstwinklytoes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes they're a lil soft. I'm her mom so i love them.

Do you have a suggestion for fixing it or just pointing that out?

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure but it seems that your shots are not focused on the eyes. Personally I like the "ONE SHOT" AF. Use one pt focus closest to the eye, point the focus point to they eye, press halfway, recompose while still pressed halfway, snap.

4. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I think he was just asking, honestly, if your eye can tell for sure when an image is totally in focus and a bit soft. Not as an insult or putting down your picture..but it really is something tricky to get used to. For a good while, I thought my pictures were in focus, but when I started really concentrating on it, I realized the difference.

Honestly, I still can't "see" it every time. It's an eye training/experience thing IMO. If you had said you didn't think they were OOF maybe he'd have some advice to help you train your eye.

That was what I got from the post, at least... But maybe I'm totally off =P

5. misstwinklytoes

Photos OK to edit
    I can tell they are soft. I think some of that is due to the low aperture I was using. It was just an oversight on my part (being in a hurry to get to cheer practice, lol). Some of it is probably a combination of not a high enough ISO, too low of an aperture, and maybe some of my movement (shutter speed too low) as well.

6. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Couple things. You are your own customer becuase its your daughter so you like them because again, she's your daughter.

BUT..... at the same time, you're going to have to take CC even if it's your daughter so when you take pix of people for money, they are happy with the pictures because they will look professional.

So yes, for soft image, you want to raise the contrast a bit during PP. But as a photographer, you'd want to be able to know just by looking at the image, UNLESS of course, you want that effect on purpose and that's what your customer is requesting

7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you know what shutter speed you used ? also try using just the center focus point and recomposing, if i have any soft focus shots it does not matter if it is my kids, partner,dog they get deleted i never save them

8. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    they are all at 1/200 gary. maximum synch speed with her built in flash ETTL. I can never figure out my built in flash. Can you do HSS? It seems that she could only use smaller aperture to fix her blown out background.

9. misstwinklytoes

Photos OK to edit
    I understand your point of view Gary, but I am not gonna delete them. Appreciate the advice.

Flash was used on some of the day, but I'm not sure about these.

I was in AP mode, so I'm not sure if that matters. When I use centerpoint and recompose I tend to get soft pictures every single time so I stopped doing that.

Mo, I don't mind the CC, I'd rather someone offer advice on how to fix a problem rather than just telling me what's wrong with it, though.

10. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are good, I would have to agree they look a little soft. When the sun shines through the branches excessively such as in #1 it can confuse the sensor a little. Consider moving to where the lighting is a little more even

11. eccs19

eccs19 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just for curiosity, have you done any tests with your camera to see if it's front or back focusing? It seems as though a majority of your pictures are somewhat soft, so maybe it's not you, but something in your camera is slightly out.

12. misstwinklytoes

Photos OK to edit

I don't know how to do that so if you have any insight I'd love to hear it!