Redo of the daughter in the tree pics. C&C if you want. :)

I would use flash. But I probably wont use Aperture priority.

Fclash helped fill the harsh shadows . I know. I forgot to up iso. Sorry ababy

I would like to see them at a higher ISO, higher shutter speed and no flash.
LOL getting a simple picture turns into a chore, right? Gotta love it!

I dont like it because when you focus and reframe, the camera may decide to change the focus pt and it wont focus on the eye anymore. HOw many focus pt are you using?

I think this is the issue here. Even if she has one focus point, and she's using AI, when she focuses on eye (which I believe she does), then composes the shot, the camera refocuses on the object she's re-composed on. [if that makes sense]

So even if you are bring the point to the eye, half holding the shutter, then re composing ... the camera will forget the eye focus and change for whatever the point is on.

Just based on how I think these were shot and why my AI theory could prove true.

1. Focus half pressed on eye, then composed downward a bit. This made the camera focus on her front shoulder since it's a lot sharper than the eye.

2. Same thing, focused on eye, composed downard towards the trunk of the tree. Camera refocused and *BAM*, nice sharp branch and soft child.

3. This one was the closest to getting it right, but eyes still a tad shaper. Focus was done on eyes, camera composed towards left and focus point caught onto her shirt refocusing. Sequins on the shirt are the left side of her (her right shoulder) are SHAAAAAAAARP as a tack.

Anyways, if I'm wrong please tell me, but it seems the AI is messing you up.

alright, so my focus options are...

AI Focus AF:
One shot, AI focus, and AI servo. I should be using one shot, right?

I should shoot shutter priority and always make sure my shutter is 1/250 or faster?

And use the shade WB or user selected WB when shooting in this spot?

Try shooting in one shot. See how it comes out, along with the other suggestions in the thread :)

You get so many mixed information miss... YOU CANT HAVE YOUR SHUTTER SPEED BE FASTER 1/200 if you use your built in flash! Maybe there is a way to do HSS.. but i dont know.

Ok, here's a pic I just did (excuse the content, lol) to see if one shot helped with the focus/recompose issue. This is in my living room so it was ISO 400 and f/1.8 and 1/15 shutter speed. I focused on the O in canon with the center point and recomposed. No flash.

test.jpg

Ok, here's a pic I just did (excuse the content, lol) to see if one shot helped with the focus/recompose issue. This is in my living room so it was ISO 400 and f/1.8 and 1/15 shutter speed. I focused on the O in canon with the center point and recomposed. No flash.

test.jpg

Probably a bad example. With such a slow shutter speed, you've got camera shake in play. Hard to judge unless you did this with a tripod, in that case, none of it seems sharp to me.

I would do this next time you go to the tree.
Put your ISO at 200. Put your camera in shutter priority with no flash, put speed at least 1/500th. Whatever focus you were on just now with the Canon, use that.
Then use flash like you have been.
Your shutter speed will have to be 1/200 or less, so still shoot in shutter priority so that you can get the correct aperture.

Look at the images and adjust. At least this way you can see what flash is really doing. I know that you are at times supposed to use flash outside, but for your case, I don't think it would be needed.

Most reactions

Back