Reflective product photography : strobe vs continuous

DWTK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I run an online business specializing in stainless steel jewelry & sculpture. For the past two years I have been teaching myself product photography after failing to get my desired results accomplished with a professional. I started off using a cheap $150 macro lens with my Canon EOS Rebel T5 and continuous lighting from two softboxes a friend had (8 LED light bulbs total) combined with a light tent. It wasn't much of a setup but I got decent results
5+low+res.png

Recently I decided to step it up and invest in a better macro lens (Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8) however the old studio I borrowed lighting from just shut down. I'm ready to invest in some decent lighting so I can continue shooting ASAP. It's very important that I create a reliable setup so that each product photography is as consistent as possible. I was about to buy two softboxes similar to the ones I used previously until I did some more research online. I've seen a lot of opinions against using a light tent and also suggestions of using strobe lights over softbox lighting. I was also looking at some of the all-in-one LED light tents ($100 range) but I'm not sure if they will provide enough light or not.

90% of my shots are of products no larger than 2”x2”. My material is stainless steel so it's VERY reflective. I would like to spend no more than $200 unless another $100 is truly worth it.

(TL;DR) I want to take consistent product photography of similarly-sized stainless steel pendants (very reflective). Should I continue to use my light tent with two softboxes on each side.. or should I upgrade to strobe lighting and ditch the tent? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
David

I don't think strobe vs constant is going to make any difference in reflections - it's more an issue of angles. I'm no expert but I don't think a strobe would gain you much except maybe a brighter light.

Look for a copy of "Light, Science and Magic"

I've seen a lot of opinions against using a light tent and also suggestions of using strobe lights over softbox lighting. I was also looking at some of the all-in-one LED light tents ($100 range) but I'm not sure if they will provide enough light or not.
I think the anti-light tent suggestion might be because of the objects that you are photographing. IMO you will probably want to see some texture on the pieces, such as the little manhole cover in your post. A light tent might make the lighting too flat to show any texture.

I have seen some LED lights, and I don't think that would be a good choice. Ordinary CFL's work o.k., as long as you're not trying to photograph people or animals. Studio strobe lights with the correct modifiers would be my recommendation.

Speaking of recommendation, I strongly echo the advice given above; get the book; "Light, Science, and Magic".

Just to avoid confusion, a softbox is a modifier; it diffuses light. It doesn't care a whit whether the light is strobed or continuous. The arguments against light tents are genreraly because they tend to produce rather boring, flat light. Strobes are preferable simply because they allow you better control over power and the ability to shoot at lower ISOs and with smaller apertures and higher shutter speeds; that may or may not matter in your case.

Definitely purchase Light, Science & Magic, and read up on cross-polarization (polarizing both your light and the lens).

I do love having even, continuous, lighting, but I'd like to produce more of a reflective "shine" with my pieces as well. A lot of people recommend Light, Science, & Magic however I'm only going to be shooting the same exact subject matter day-in-ad-day-out. I would rather spend the extra time I have tweaking my current setup, even if it means ditching my light tent. I just need less of a "grey" dull finish and then I will have my desired results :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back