Refocusable Photographs

'Daniel'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Daniel said:
But is it taking out yet another skill from photography? I feel guitly using Autofocus I don't think i could do this. None the less it is amazing.

well if you're willing to chuck the cash at it, then by all means do so, i'm still using 40 year old technology

my question is why do you have to refocus for one part of the image, how about total infinity focus at any distance?

panzershreck said:
well if you're willing to chuck the cash at it, then by all means do so, i'm still using 40 year old technology

my question is why do you have to refocus for one part of the image, how about total infinity focus at any distance?

I looked like you could do infinate focus, at least for macro images.

Uselessdreamer1 said:
thats cool. is that a program? whats the purpose?
What this team of researchers did is develop a camera that can record the information necessary to use software to refocus the image after capture. This is really fascinating stuff. I think I'll have to do some research on this.

1) It looks like the effective aperture of that camera would be somewhere in the order of a pinhole.

2) You will get a similar effect by moving the diaphragm opening parallel to the focal plane. But since the lens isn't designed for this, vignetting will occur far sooner.

3) I wonder if they can make microscopes like that. Seems much more convenient than confocal ones.

Very Interesting. The article does say that they could use it to make microscopes. It could also mean huge changes to the way that digital cameras are made.

I can just see another slider in your RAW processing package labelled 'focus'.

Wasn't there a scene in Bladerunner where the hero 'enhances' and refocusses pictures? Won't be long!

Colin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back