refurbished nikon d90 or new d90 does it make a difference?

MissJones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I am going to purchase the Nikon D90 but I need advice on if I should purchase the refurbished nikon d90 with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm lens for $900 or New nikon d90 kit that comes with with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm lens for $1099.00?

This will be my first DSLR so I will be purchasing more lenses in the future but what I need to know now which is the better deal?

I have purchased refurbished before with no regrets. The camera is rebuilt completely and double checked to be sure it's 100%.
The lenses may be a deal breaker for a first timer though. The 18-105 is going to keep a newbie happier longer than the 18-55 is going to. The 18-105 gives you a little bit of zoom magnification, whereas the 18-55 just goes from WIDE to a little larger than the eye sees. The lack of any real amount of zoom with the 18-55 is the first pinch people feel with their first DSLR.

Nikon refurbished gear comes with a 90 day Nikon warranty, however the seller may add 9 months of their own warranty to Nikon's warranty so you have warranty for a year. Nikon's warranty here in the USA is for a year, but the lens warranty can be extended to 5 years by registering your gear with Nikon USA at their web site.

Nikon refurbished gear is not completely rebuilt, but the gear is carefully inspected, tested, minor repairs are done if necessary, and re-calibrated. Gear needing more than simple, minor repairs gets trashed and written off as a business expense.

The main sources of refubished gear is buyers that had unrealistic expectations of what the gear could do, couldn't figure out how to use the gear, or just had buyer's remorse.

Only a small sampling of new cameras that come down the assembly line get checked as thoroughly as refurbished gear does, though they all get calibrated.

FWIW - I often bought used camera gear from both reputable online sellers and private sellers that had no warranty, and was only inspected/tested by me..

I bought a used D90 from a personal seller off craigslist YIKES! over a year ago, probably a year and half now, for I think $500 bux. It did not come with a lens, but I don't think the 18-55 is worth $400 dollars or the other one worth $600. Unless I got a bangin' deal, Id shop around a bit more.

The 18-105 is a way better lens than the 18-55. I have had both and it was very noticeable in quality to me. I would buy the new with 18-105 for sure. That was my starter kit and served me well for a year or so.

I bought a used D90 from a personal seller off craigslist YIKES! over a year ago, probably a year and half now, for I think $500 bux. It did not come with a lens, but I don't think the 18-55 is worth $400 dollars or the other one worth $600. Unless I got a bangin' deal, Id shop around a bit more.

Yep if you are comfortable with No Warranty! As also bought mine last year off craigslist for $650 with grip. And can save quite a bit of cash if it is tight. For me it was so mine was at 17k last Nov when I bought it. And now 1yr. later is at 47k and still a click'in!

But New & Warranty is strong enticer if a couple of hundred isn't a big deal. I'm seeing bodies now low shutter is anything under 25k for $500-$550. And the 18-55vr in the $100-$125 price and the 18-105 in the $200-$250 range. And D90 with 18-105 in the $700-$800 range.

And yep agree a good lens to start with is the 18-105.

Refurbished gear usually comes from two sources. Returns or something that was pulled from the assembly line. Either way, the refurbished gear usually gets a much more thorough inspection/testing than a typical assembly line mode. So chances are that you get a perfectly functioning model...probably for less than off-the-shelf. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Most reactions

Back