Regret

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
80++km. Soar legs. Hurt butt. Blazing sun!

I don't know if I made the right decision to go 80km on a rental bike (decent mt.bike with road tires). Actually I didn't know the distance when I was riding. I just kept riding and riding until I reached a certain time and then headed back. The scenery was beautiful. The road was bumpy, ups and downs. The bike was stiff and the saddle was really unforgiving. I wonder which day will feel worse. Tomorrow or the day after?

278380_10151226804816803_968476253_o.jpg

462355_10151226803991803_1448735366_o.jpg

204958_10151226804301803_1747102005_o.jpg

I'm guessing the day after :)

Over 80 km, that's a long way. On our local road standard, and whilst keeping the speed limit, we drive 1km in one minute. You can't possible regret the trip now when you've come home? I can understand that you've had several trips into the basement on the bike, but I hope you're feeling great safely back home? :) Did you take photos?

Wow, good for you! That's a long trip.

Ouch. I hurt just thinking about it. Get someone to rub your butt and make it (and you) feel better.

Ughhh I remember those 80+ rides. My longest was 150 while biking the Cabot Trail.

You are a brave soul. I would never ride that far on a rented mountain bike! Ouch. Tomorrow& the next day, you'll be in pain ahah

I used to ride marathon distance on mt. bike on gravel roads. It was also kind of tough ride because the road surface was really rough, rattling my body the whole way. My legs were more prepared then, so I was used to it.

This is the first major ride I've done since. I sold my bike and never picked up cycling again because I wasn't settled yet (still not). That's why I rented the bike which isn't bad at all for a rental. I've never done this distance or this route before. My legs were not doing nearly as great as they used to be and I had to stop quite a few times to let it cool down. My legs aren't hurting now as I was expecting.... but may be not yet!

What's a marathon distance? I'm assuming a lot more than 42.2km you'd run? Do you mean Iron Man? If so, I'm impressed!
I don't think I could do any distance on a mountain bike although I have ridden a hybrid with road tires& it wasn't too painful. After riding a road bike, I don't think I could ever go back.

As much as it's killer for legs, the thing that stops me from doing long distance rides more consistently is the hand numbness. I've tried gloves& different grips but nothing works. If you ever get that when you're 45km away from home& have to drive back with crazy pain& tingling, you'll wonder if it's worth the effort ahaha

Marathon is 42.125km. That's the distance I used to do on gravel ( with alligators and vultures lurking around ). For the ride yesterday, my legs started feeling weak just a little after I start turning back at half distance. Of course my hands got numb/painful and you are right about the gloves. They only help so much. That said, I used to use the cheapest gloves, no padding whatsoever, just to ease the rubbing. Then it got old and lose and I got a new pair which have some silicone padding. They helped a lot! Still, they only work for so long before the numbness and pain kick in.

I've never ridden a road bike before. Just mt bike on the road with road tires, and course, mt bike on trails.

I have to say, 42km on gravel is much more exhausting to the body than 80k on the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back