Regrets??

The screen on the D70 is to small, but it was cheap and i love the 18-70. But maybe the D300 replacement camera will do nicely when it comes along

I made the jump from the D100 to the D300. It was a staggering improvement. You're going to be veeeeeeeery pleased. :)

BTW, love the avatar. :lol:

My XTi is about one year old now and it has been a very good entry level camera. The only problem I have with it is that I need better high iso performance. I shoot outdoors in wooded areas a lot and it seems there is never enough light. Nothing wrong with my camera, and really no regrets, my interests and needs are just outgrowing it.

D70s has poor ISO performance and small screen. Other than that, great. No regrets in buying it. I just really want a D200 :p

You people have no idea what poor ISO really is.....

I have no regrets. My camera is paid for. If I went with a dSLR, it wouldn't be paid for until around 2049 or so....

May i ask why? I went from a S3 to a D80. I sold the D80 and will be receiving a D300 tomorrow...I still have my S3 though...

I sold my S3 after I bought a digi Rebel, which I sold and bought an S5 (I needed the money from the Rebel sale and compromised with an S5).
The S5 isn't as good in low light as my S3 was, I like it but I wish I'd just kept the S3..

My Slr's are now older Canon Film camera's.. I have an AE-1 and a bouncing baby Elan ll on it's way for Xmas.. :)

I must say though I get a ton of battery time with this S5 as I use the view finder either that or I have a freakish set of batteries I charged them yesterday because I felt I should otherwise I havn't charged them since I got it back in the summer and I've taken a zillion shots with it..
I am feeling a bit scared of the batteries actually like they have a never ending life or something scary.... :blushing:

I briefly regretted buying a used Canon 10s (35mm), but that quickly wore off and I love it now. I think I paid too much, but it's been so long ago that it doesn't matter anymore.

I bought a canon 40d for the same price as a 50d. If I only waited one month. faaaawk

I went to my local shop to buy a D90, and they offered me a smoking deal on the D300 with 18-200 3.5-5.6 Other than having to explain to my wife why it was worth the extra money, i have had not a single moment of mental anguish.

I bought my 30D about 3 or 4 months before the 40D came out -- I love the 30D, but still ...

appriciate the feedback. I went today to play with cameras and may have decided on a route to take. I went from looking at the Nikon D300 to being told that that was too much camera for me as a beginner I would get overwhelmed... (I do know that this is an interest that is here to stay) down to the nikon D90 (which I didn't get to play with because they were out of stock) to talking about getting a bit cheaper body (XSi) and investing the difference in glass to noticing that for about $300 more I could go from an XSi with a 17-85 4.5-5.6 to the 50D with the same lense as they are running a promotion... Now the conundrum is should I just go with the XSi and invest the difference into an extra lense or just bite the bullet and get the better camera which he figures I won't really grow out of anytime soon. I will have a bit of a windfall in February and will likely be able to afford an extra $700 or so in lenses /equipment

I would go with XSI, and better lens.
However if you have used Nikon before and feel more comfortable using their controls etc don't rule it out until more have responded...

appriciate the feedback. I went today to play with cameras and may have decided on a route to take. I went from looking at the Nikon D300 to being told that that was too much camera for me as a beginner I would get overwhelmed... (I do know that this is an interest that is here to stay) down to the nikon D90 (which I didn't get to play with because they were out of stock) to talking about getting a bit cheaper body (XSi) and investing the difference in glass to noticing that for about $300 more I could go from an XSi with a 17-85 4.5-5.6 to the 50D with the same lense as they are running a promotion... Now the conundrum is should I just go with the XSi and invest the difference into an extra lense or just bite the bullet and get the better camera which he figures I won't really grow out of anytime soon. I will have a bit of a windfall in February and will likely be able to afford an extra $700 or so in lenses /equipment

I really don't get the whole "it's too much camera for you" thing.

I know you've already decided, and that's fine, but I would reconsider the D300 if you have the budget for it.

The -only- thing that the D300 doesn't have that might be a benefit to a new shooter is some of the "cheater" modes where you flip to "action" or "portrait" or whatever, and the camera makes some basic settings adjustments for you. These are undeniably handy for a new person, but anyone who intends to grow in this space would likely outgrow most of these fairly quickly, and you can most certainly do without them.

Any other camera is just going to do things like not have a physical dial to adjust the shutter speed, or come with far less focal points, or won't have a focusing motor, etc. In other words, the lesser cameras are gimped.

Thus, why I don't understand the whole "it's too much for you" thing. Is having all the capabilities that you need available and easy to control "too much for a beginner"? Wouldn't seem so to me.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever you decide on (Nikon OR Canon), I would just very seriously reconsider buying less of a camera than you can afford just because someone patted you on the head and said "Aw, aren't you cute... but that's a camera for a BIG BOY."

I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy another film camera. I love my D300, but there just isn't anything like the sound of the film advancing, and the anticipation of seeing what you got...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back