Reindeer-mania in Lapland

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A small selection from my September reindeer images.

1: Reindeer in a distance.
I set up camp on this high plain (a 20 km long valley) close to Saltoluokta for 2 nights. First I encountered only smaller groups of Reindeer, 5 to 10 animals, but then more and more gathered, many herds of 50 and more reindeer. Everything started to taste and smell like reindeer, the air, the water, my food, and I myself!
5112.jpg

2: More reindeer in a distance
5114.jpg

3: Reindeer panning
5477.jpg

4: The bad boys
5146.jpg

5: mushroom, yummy!
5749.jpg

And just for the sake of completeness, a nightly visitor who has its own thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138561
5188.jpg

Very good series of shots - mushroom shot looks like you were very close to that one!
I must say I really love the colours you have captured - especialy in "the bad boys"
*now comes the inevitable* what kit did you use *question* ;)

Thanks both :)

Very good series of shots - mushroom shot looks like you were very close to that one!

Very close indeed, but it ran away seconds after that shot ;)

*now comes the inevitable* what kit did you use *question* ;)

Canon 5D (it is much more weather proof than people think), most of the shots in this thread are with the 24-105mm f/4 L, but on my trip I also used the 17-40 f/4 L, 300mm f/4 L and the 50mm f/1.4, a B+W Kaesemann polariser, several Lee ND grad filters. Could not be bothered to carry much more since this was basically a hiking/wilderness/outdoor trip for weeks. OK, also had a tripod and cable release of course.

I really like these, Alex! The shades of gold and brown in the first two shots are just gorgeous. And I'm in awe of how close you got to the mushroom eater, to get that shot.

It looks like you really got 'up close and personal' with nature on this trip. You lucky sod!

Beautiful pics! I am both jealous and jealous of your adventure. I like the white Reindeer, very different. :)

Thanks!

If time allows, I might start posting some landscape shots tomorrow.

I'm not very fond of the blurry shots, but all the others more than make up for them. Probably your set that I've liked the most here on TPF. The colours on the first two are surreal, and "The Bad Boys" is really badass :)

On the last one, blurriness results simply from the darkness and the slow shutter speed needed.

In the other image of the running reindeer, it is intentional ;)

I didn't even know there were white reindeer! That is a wonderful shot, and I bet it was a very cool moment for you. :)

I like all of these, the panning shot and "the bad boys" in particular. What a beautiful area!

Nice work.

I didn't even know there were white reindeer! That is a wonderful shot, and I bet it was a very cool moment for you. :)

I like all of these, the panning shot and "the bad boys" in particular. What a beautiful area!

Nice work.

What you call area though, is more than that. Lapland (home of the Sami) stretches over vast parts of Northern Scandinavia, including parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia - mainly at and North of the Arctic Circle. I usually travel the Swedish part.

These are stunning, my absolute fave is the panning one, imagine that one blown up big! I get giddy just thinking about it! Stunning stunning work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back