Remembering a memory by scent

jnamnco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
does anyone have a scent they have that brings back a memory?

what would you think instead of looking a photograph, there's a scent to it that would bring back that memory?

i meant,
what kind of scents would you think of that would bring back a memory

you mean a photo that brings out memories, like when you smell something that brings out some memory!?

the smell of spring

or burning leaves in the fall

perfume of an ex gf

or the smell of race fuel burning at a drag strip

the musty smell of a photo store

etc etc

The perfume my first gf used, I don't know what it's called but it sure brings out a lot of memories.

Perfume is the classic one. The problem is scents fade VERY quickly. Perfume goes off, and in general it's not something that can be stored for very long.

i meant,
what kind of scents would you think of that would bring back a memory
Depends on the memory...

Different smells would bring different memories...

Memories and smells have been linked VERY, very strongly, in numerous studies. Memories of scents and aromas last basically, almost a lifetime. A little bit of internet searching will turn up some studies correlating smell and memories.

Discovery Health "Smell and Memory"

Also....Can Photographs Bring Back Remember The Smell of a Memory | Get a Digital SLR Camera

One study I recall from college was a group of people who were shown photos of people they did not know, and given scent samples paired with the presentation of the mugshot photos....after a year, the association between faces of "nameless, unfamiliar" people and their original scent pairing was fairly high...

Food mainly for me.

I used to live in Italy when I was younger and me and my family would regularly cook chestnuts on an open fire. That smell always brings back memories for me.

Edit: I'm pretty sure if someone showed me a photograph of chestnuts being cooked on an open fire I would be reminded of that scent in an instant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back