Removing an ex-husband from pic

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My best friend asked me to edit out her ex-husband from about 5 family photos. I've been hard at work, but removing someone is harder than I thought. Any suggestions on easy-ish ways to do this?

Scissors.

Kind of a strange request, IMO...

Re-take the photos.

Editing him out is going to take ages to do right and will leave an odd gap in the pose and chances are she will still "see" him there in the photo even if you remove him expertly. Fresh photos would be best for a fresh start.

Send me her name, age, dimensions, favorite music, free evenings and phone number.

j/k. :mrgreen:

Seeing a sample photo would help.

My great-grandmother is the original photoshopper... she cut my great-grandfather out of every family photo when they divorced. We didn't know about it until after she died and we were cleaning out her house. I'm actually doing the photoshopping for my friend's grandmother, so maybe its a generational thing... remove bad memories and they didn't happen kind of thing??? Her grandma wants pictures without my friend's ex.

Send me her name, age, dimensions, favorite music, free evenings and phone number.

I don't want to post her pics without her permission.

Re-take the photos.

Editing him out is going to take ages to do right and will leave an odd gap in the pose and chances are she will still "see" him there in the photo even if you remove him expertly. Fresh photos would be best for a fresh start.

I agree that this is the best option but unfortunately there are issues with minor children and custody that make that impossible. (one child was only his, and he isn't letting that child see my friend...its just nasty business)

I don't want to post her pics without her permission.
Has the original photographer given permission for this editing?

the original photographer was her mom. They aren't pro photos, just snapshots.

I would tell her this is beyond your skill level. I will add it is very hard to do especially if they are touching. Very time consuming.

It's really a genuinely tacky and exceptionally rude request. I'd simply refuse to do it for her. If they want to hide from reality, they're desperately sad characters. Just get some new photos!

FWIW - Snap shots made by amateur photographers are protected by copyright too.
I understand that, and all involved are aware of the "project" and on board with it.

@Derrel: If you knew the whole situation I doubt you would be so judgmental. I don't feel its my story to tell, but this isn't your run of the mill divorce. My friend's grandmother would like some pictures of herself, her granddaughter and the step-grandchild that she will never see again, without having to look at the ex-husband. The grandmother is almost 90 years old, and I'm not telling her no.

I would tell her this is beyond your skill level. I will add it is very hard to do especially if they are touching. Very time consuming.
They aren't expecting a miracle, and the photos aren't all that great to begin with. I've been using photoshop (professionally, I'm a graphic designer) for about 15 years now. I'm confident I can do it, I was just hoping there was some "quick fix" easy way out. Like I said, they aren't expecting much and it was a long shot for them anyway.

Most reactions

Back