replicating high fashion

anel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone, i really want to produce a photo like the ones you see everywhere, done with multiple flashes and by pros.. but unfortunately i only have one flash with an umbrella available.. how can i use my gear so the shots look pro?
i was thinking something along the lines of using the sun as a rimlight and the flash as key. but seeing as how i'll be totally dependant on the suns position it is a major disadvantage... and tips or tricks i might try next time to get really awesome effects with one light?

hey everyone, i really want to produce a photo like the ones you see everywhere, done with multiple flashes and by pros.. but unfortunately i only have one flash with an umbrella available.. how can i use my gear so the shots look pro?
You can't. It takes all that gear to produce those images.

They sometimes do shoots with less gear because some AD (Art Director) or CD (Creative Director) has had a vision (lack of money to have it done right). ;)

You don't need the exact same gear but it still takes multiple lights, reflectors, diffusers, flags, scrims and whatnot to make it happen.

Start with what you have, comb the DYI stuff for ways to make your own light modifiers and other tools, save your money tobuy what you can't make yourself.

Bottom line there are no effective shortcuts you're going to have to work hard to get where you can do the same kind of images. That's what they did.

I'm not certain what kinds of photos you are referring to specifically, but you can do a lot with well controlled window light: find a window that lets in a lot of light and use reflectors and perhaps your flash to shape the light. A window is a lot like a big softbox, so it can help you to get around your lack of a light.

I think you can achieve satisfying results with one light source but you need to understand first what is possible and what is not.

Again, Dean Collins show in his DVD set how you can achieve quite complex lighting with only one light source. I deally you will need a lot of white board, gobos, reflectors and an assistant.

But it can be done.

As KmH said it's impossible to achieve a shot you see on a glossy magazine cover. Those shoots mostly involve high-end lighting gear.

Nonetheless you have to start somewhere and learning how to work with one light is a logic step in the process of becoming a photographer.

There are plenty of tutorials and how-tos online that give you ideas how to create a set-up for what you are looking for.

Mixing sunlight and strobes (without gels) is not going to work. The different light temperatures will make it impossible to shoot.

It's best to work indoors with one flash so you have total control over your lighting. That way you will understand better how light works and it's easier to work with that. You can't move the sun or lower its output so you would be just adding another variable that can cause a headache.

In my experience you can mix strobes and daylight just fine (strobes are daylight balanced, usually).

to wit:
844213721_6SQJ4-M.jpg

Yes, you can use flash/strobes to use as fill for outdoor shots, but you won't be able to create a high fashion look putting a model in direct sunlight.

Either way you will get quite harsh shadows and you end up using so many modifiers to diffuse and bounce back the light that you might as well start shooting in a studio environment/indoors to begin with.

i've been shooting with my umbrella outdoors a lot, i just don't see that glamour look i'm looking for.. i was considering an umbrella from the side and a reflector on the other.. i just hope that gives me the look i want..

even if you only have one flash, you can still essentially have 3 light sources using sun + flash + reflector...

You can accomplish what you need, through a series of DIY tasks, and exposure stacking. Just use your one flash off camera, and have the model(s) stand completely still, and I mean COMPLETELY or else it will mess everything up. Then position the strobe with each diffusion method (Home made softbox, beauty dish, etc) differently for each shot. You may end up with 5-7 shots. Then stack all the exposures. There you go, easy as pie.*

*NOTE: This strategy probably wouldn't work for a number of reasons, so please don't take it seriously.

i've been shooting with my umbrella outdoors a lot, i just don't see that glamour look i'm looking for....QUOTE]
Because pros don't use umbrellas. They use big softboxes or diffusers and studio strobes, not speedlights.

Westcott | Softbox, Silver Interior - 54x72" | 4833 | B&H

You won't get "that glamour look" with your current gear. You have to do the best you can with what you have now and over time increase your experience and gear.

Most reactions

Back