Requisite Waterdrop Photos: C&C please

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by RxForB3, Mar 8, 2012.

1. RxForB3

RxForB3 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well it had to happen. I gave in to the waterdrop fun. Here are a few results from my first foray. Any suggestions? I think next time I will use a larger depth of field. Part of the drops are in focus, but the important parts aren't particularly.

[​IMG]
    Splish by RxForB3, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Splash by RxForB3, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Sploosh by RxForB3, on Flickr

Thanks!

2. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The third one is good, maybe still a tad soft. The first two are too soft. These are very hard to focus on, but once you get your rig set up you will be a pro in no time. Try to put something thin, like a pen or something where you have the water dropping in the pan/dish. Focus your camera on that and set it to manual focus so that it doesn't lose the focus point. It works sometimes, other times the splashes go astray.

I use a plastic baggie, put the water in it and hang it above the pan I have the water in with one of the bottom corners of the bag hanging about a foot above the pan. Then I poke a small pinhole in the corner of the bag so the water drips slowly and start shooting!

Great try, keep at it and post more!

3. RxForB3

Photos OK to edit
    I have a few ideas to change abbot my setup, but I think the softness would have been solved by a larger DOF. These are from a macro lens and haven't been cropped. I imagine that doesn't give much room for error with an aperture of f/3.5.

4. Forkie

Forkie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is something I've still never managed to get round to. I love the colours you chose, but the focus is a little soft on all of them. The composition on No.3 is spot on :)

5. RxForB3

Photos OK to edit

Yes, I like number 3. Looks like a man without arms. But I was very disappointed with the focus. Several times I adjusted the focus using the round end of a pin (not pen), but somehow it still didn't capture right, which is why I'm thinking depth of focus might have helped.