What's new

Reshoot: I got Lightning this time

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
543
Reaction score
2
Location
New Zealand
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title suggest, I did a quick stab in the dark shot the other night of a lighthouse and the composition could have been better, pitch black at the time, tonight I went to the same area and I think I struck gold.

img8843j.jpg


I have only done a quick PP on this, it was shot literally 2 hours before the time of this post.

We dont get much in the way of electrical storms here, so this was really being in the right place at the right time.

The original image has alot of noise, 16 minute exposure, does anyone have any links to video tutorials they suggest I watch so I can clean it up properly.
 
Another shot I got, again i had to guess the composition based on local knowledge, pitch black past the surf. 16 minute exposure.

Very little post done here so far, just enough to sare the image.

img8845a.jpg



and another I quickly PP

img8842s.jpg
 
Last edited:
wow that looks beautiful, looks like a painting too :D

i really like the 3rd one :D
 
wow that looks beautiful, looks like a painting too :D

i really like the 3rd one :D

Thanks, I am still fizzing, they need alot of work to bring out the best, but in having said that I have only spent about 5 minutes on each, levels, temp etc, kinda blows me away to get shots like that and they are real, untouched.
 
Rob
The two lighthouse photos are beautiful. On my screen the noise is barely noticeable.
 
Wow 16 minute exposure. Thats awesome. Great pics. :thumbup:
 
New Zealand has some really beautiful locations, saw that in the "Lord of the Rings" movies. Your pictures reinforce that.:thumbup:
 
I love the shots, nothing really bad to say, I think the only thing I would even say that might add to your shot another time is to paint something in the foreground with a little light.

Even without the lightning, these shots would have been great, just a bonus to a great shoot.
 
Rob
The two lighthouse photos are beautiful. On my screen the noise is barely noticeable.

Thanks.

Wow 16 minute exposure. Thats awesome. Great pics. :thumbup:

Cheers.

New Zealand has some really beautiful locations, saw that in the "Lord of the Rings" movies. Your pictures reinforce that.:thumbup:

The hobbit village set location is about a 45 minute drive from here, very close to my hometown, the rest of the movie was shot in our South Island, a place which I have yet to visit, we were planning on heading down there this year with our 2 kids, but my work has backed off so much It's not going to happen sadly. I am thinking I could get some epic shots down there.

I love the shots, nothing really bad to say, I think the only thing I would even say that might add to your shot another time is to paint something in the foreground with a little light.

Even without the lightning, these shots would have been great, just a bonus to a great shoot.

Thanks Ryan, this composition was not purely by chance, I shot from the same location a few nights earlier but it was flat and lifeless and I had way too much foreground in the shot, hindsight being 20/20 I went back to shoot another area last night and although I had planned to shoot the lighthouse again, it wasnt from this vantage point, however as I was walking back, I saw the lightning and it seemed to be coming from pretty much the perfect spot in relation to the composition above.

I had a lot of time to kill in between shots, and painting with light did cross my mind, lol, but didnt want to risk getting down to the rocks in pitch black conditions, by myself with no cell phone coverage......
 
Your second image in my mind is your best. The others are overly saturated with pink and purples eww. Back to the first the composition could have been better if for instance you brought a flashlight with you (unless your worried about being mugged), but still I really like it. :D:thumbup:
 
#2 :thumbup:
Very nice look to them. quite the exposure too!
 
Not a fan of the sun sitting on the peak of the rock like that.

Otherwise they're just "ok" imo.
 
beautiful images.
 
#2 :thumbup:
Very nice look to them. quite the exposure too!

Thanks

Not a fan of the sun sitting on the peak of the rock like that.

Otherwise they're just "ok" imo.

The sun huh, that is the light from the light house that blinks on and off. The sun had set about 2 hours earlier. But I could see how you could be mistaken.

Your second image in my mind is your best. The others are overly saturated with pink and purples eww. Back to the first the composition could have been better if for instance you brought a flashlight with you (unless your worried about being mugged), but still I really like it. :D:thumbup:

Yeah, Ive given 2 of them another looksee.

smallimg8842.jpg


and...
smallimg8843.jpg


beautiful images.

Thanks D-B-J
 
Wow, did you shoot in RAW?? You were able to bring out ALOT of detail! Especially the first one, I still like the first versions better though.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom