results of nature walk. good? bad?

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
went on a nature walk the other day. been trying to incooperate advise and gimp/photoshop tips from photography elders. c & c wanted

i though this little grumpy frog had alot of character. all he needed was a bow tie and monacle. hahaha.
mrfrog.jpg

some tracks i found

timandcarls008.jpg

timandcarls009.jpg

this turtle was really annoyed by the time i was done with him. haha

turtle084.jpg

1 is out of focus.

2 and 3 are good but not really that interesting.imo.

4 is very good and the best of the lot.:mrgreen:

Hey Flower,
#4 is a cool shot. IMO it would look better with a tighter crop (mainly to get rid of the harsh light top left). Then I would kick the exposure down, and play with color correction to try and bring the shell out from the light. Might try a color burn as well.

I agree with everyone else.
#4 is a great shot. Poor turtle... he was tired of having his picture made! LOL!

The first one is quite blairy, other than that great work

thank you so much Sebastian 16, DRoberts, and momofthing1and2 for all your opinions. i never know which ones people will like. its good to have some advice from people with a different perspective.

i will most definetly mess with the color and exposure. and yes-- i think if that turtle had a gun, he would have shot me. haha.

thanks robb01 .yes i agree the first one is blurry. i was so upset i didnt get it sharper. is there any good method of sharpening it in gimp. if so, to what degree or percent-cause i really like it- or is it just a lost cause?

White Balance... The word for the day.

I agree with what's been said, the first shot is blurry but the last one is a great shot of the turtle, even though the edges are blurry. I think it's such a unique pose that you don't get to see everyday, and that's what nature photos should do, show you nature that you don't normally get to see.

I also like #4 and I agree about tighter crop. Also, it's a bit on the cool side. The other ones were OOF.

okay. i took everyones advise and tried it out. i put the "before" on here again so you can see the difference in what i did easier so you wouldnt have to scroll a bunch. heres what i did--- warmed it up, cropped it, turned the exposure down, brought the shell out from the light, and kinda messed with the color.

BEFORE ADVISE:
turtle084.jpg

AFTER ADVISE:
turtle084-1.jpg

what do you all think. did i do it right? it certainly looks better i think. and if anyone wants to add anything it would be welcome.

I would say it's better, but I still find the overexposed sky distracting. Also, just to clarify, it's advice you're looking for, not advise. Sorry for nitpicking!

oh sorry--advice---advice. naturally, the word i spell wrong is in there 50 times. --thought it looked weird.

I like the after version better as well. Looking at the photo again, I think it is pretty neat to be able to see a turtle eye so close and in so much detail. It's not everyday you get to see that. Have you gone out and taken any more candid shots of turtles?

Most reactions

Back