retouching charge?

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a call from an email from someone wanting me to retouch some photos. They said they have a photographer but he's not very skilled in photoshop and want to send the photos to me (with the photographers approval) for retouching. What would be a good base to ask for? I've never really charged just for retouching. Its shots taken from a youth wrestling program, around 200 he said.

It depends on your skill, but I charge $90. per photo. YMMV.

Retouching is included in my fees so I don't really know what to tell you, per photo wise, but reading your post, my gut reaction is DON"T TOUCH THAT! Smells like a hellhole to me.

Fixing someone else's work is usually a nightmare because it usually means the original person totally fooked up and doesn't know how to fix it (you may be dealing with the un-fixable) or, even worse, it could mean the client wants something that is just not do-able. So, ask to see the photos, all of them, and also what they want done to them before you give a price on the job.

I'm wondering how much retouching shots from "a youth wrestling program" need?

why does it need retouching? These boys dont want pimples on their photos?

I can't say from retouching photos, but I used to be in the business of instrument repair. Whenever someone came to me to "fix" someone else's handy work, it would more than likely cost them more than it would have to come to me initially to get the work done. Plus, I had to deal with the hatchet job the "tech" before me did.

My rough guesstimate, is that I got the **** end of the stick on 100% of those jobs. I don't know if this transfers to your situation or not, but just reading it is throwing up all kinds of red flags in my mind.

I'm leery on it myself. I figure with just youth wrestling it shouldn't need to much. I went and checked out the website. The pictures of the kids are not that great at all, and when viewed full size are out of focus. But I think the main concern they may have is the backgrounds have been replaced on many of the photos (badly done), and you can really tell they were just pasted into the image. It really looks like someone who has had photoshop for a week did it.

I still want to at least give it a shot. It may lead to shooting for them. I'll tell them, I'll do what I can this time, but I won't continue to edit this photographers photos after. I don't want to degrade the photographer, but viewing the online images, It's not a gig I want to do continually.

Check out other websites to get an idea. This is a site that i use and everything is over the internet. They retouch new photos and restore old photos. They also take all of your photos and video to make slideshows. so Mr. Photo Retoucher is a nice place to start looking at prices. Mr Photo Retoucher Home

I'm wondering how much retouching shots from "a youth wrestling program" need?
This, combined with this:
Fixing someone else's work is usually a nightmare because it usually means the original person totally fooked up and doesn't know how to fix it (you may be dealing with the un-fixable) or, even worse, it could mean the client wants something that is just not do-able. So, ask to see the photos, all of them, and also what they want done to them before you give a price on the job.

I can't see shots from a wrestling match needing a whole lot of work, which makes me wonder why the photographer couldn't handle it... I too would ask to see them before you commit to anything...

looking at the website, it looks like they did "portraits" of the wrestlers with their trophy's, then poorly added a background and called it good.

Have you heard anything from them on exactly what they want? What they consider 'retouching' might be a lot more than what you consider 'retouching'...

And are they going to give you the original, unedited, files to work with - or are you supposed to re-edit the botched edits?

Have you heard anything from them on exactly what they want? What they consider 'retouching' might be a lot more than what you consider 'retouching'...

And are they going to give you the original, unedited, files to work with - or are you supposed to re-edit the botched edits?

I have no idea. They emailed me and I called them. They guy said they already had photos, but their photographer wasn't skilled in photoshop. Asked me how much I needed to "retouch them" I told him I don't have a price on retouching alone, but depending on how many photos and what needed to be done pricing would start at 50. He said he would call the photographer and get back to me.

Well, if they're talking to the photographer, hopefully they're trying to get the original files.

From the sound of it, even that may not help much though.

I mean, if the ****s all out of focus, or badly exposed - whatever ... there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. In a way, I would consider turning it down just because of that. You'll be 'putting your name' on bad pictures...

Photoshop can't fix missed focus...

Even if you do turn down the retouching, you could still let them know that you are a 'one stop shop'. Photography, retouching, prints, whatever...

I don't know... The whole thing just sounds bad to me... Like in the end, you'll have to sign off on work that you know isn't up to your standards. Even if you are just doing the PP - if it's bad coming in, it's going to be bad going out.

Well, if they're talking to the photographer, hopefully they're trying to get the original files.

From the sound of it, even that may not help much though.

I mean, if the ****s all out of focus, or badly exposed - whatever ... there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. In a way, I would consider turning it down just because of that. You'll be 'putting your name' on bad pictures...

Photoshop can't fix missed focus...

Even if you do turn down the retouching, you could still let them know that you are a 'one stop shop'. Photography, retouching, prints, whatever...

I don't know... The whole thing just sounds bad to me... Like in the end, you'll have to sign off on work that you know isn't up to your standards. Even if you are just doing the PP - if it's bad coming in, it's going to be bad going out.

I agree whole heartingly. My only this is I need clients after moving to a new city. If I can improve the images and find a tactful way to say theres only so much I can do cause you photographer sucks, it might net me a new client to shoot for.

Most reactions

Back