reveal dark places in pictures

dfed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot in RAW. You know, when you take a picture how some parts of the image are very dark and not seen well.
I had read about a technique which merges two shoots of a picture (I think one of them is underexposure and the other overexposure) resulting in the dark parts to be seen well.
Could you suggest what is the name of that technique, please.
And if you could suggest another good technique which helps in such cases?

Thanks in adv

I know about HDR, but I think it is not what I`m looking for.

It's exactly what you are looking for. You need to extend the dynamic range of the photo and that's HDR = high dynamic range.

The term HDR usually applies to merging different images taken at different exposures from the same exact position. What the OP is describing is another method of extending dynamic range. You process the original RAW file two different ways, once to bring out shadow detail and once for highlight detail, and then merge the two tiff or jpg files in PS or other processing software.

The term HDR usually applies to merging different images taken at different exposures from the same exact position. What the OP is describing is another method of extending dynamic range. You process the original RAW file two different ways, once to bring out shadow detail and once for highlight detail, and then merge the two tiff or jpg files in PS or other processing software.

OP said 2 different pics with one over exposed and one underexposed. That would be HDR. Unless you just want to put the 2 photos on top of eachother in 2 different layers and make the top layer 50% Opacity. Then you pick up a little detail from each exposure. There are some applications that will allow you to increase the highlights and lowlights out of a single exposure with sliders/curves but from what I've seen the result is a huge loss in detail, graininess, and dull/flat looking areas. The colors also just seem off with this type of processing.

You're right, mj, I mis-read the original post. I don't know why the later post says it is not HDR he's looking for. Well, I guess he has more info than he did before.

My guess is he knows the term "HDR" thanks to fake HDRs on the internet, thus thinking, that it is not what he's looking for... There are many overprocessed images on the internet with a label HDR on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the case here.

I had read about a technique which merges two shoots of a picture (I think one of them is underexposure and the other overexposure) resulting in the dark parts to be seen well.
Could you suggest what is the name of that technique, please.

What you described is HDR: merger of two (or more) images with different exposures to increase dynamic range.

Single-image HDR can be done in Camera Raw.
  1. In ACR, expose the image for highlights.
  2. Open in Photoshop as a smart object.
  3. Create a "new smart object via copy."
  4. Open that new smart object in ACR and expose for shadow details.
  5. Return to Photoshop. Put a black mask on the second image, then paint with white where you want to open shadow details.

@Peano,
I think the technique you suggest is exactly what I`m looking for.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back