What's new

Rickmers Hamburg

nugentch

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
56
Reaction score
53
Location
Black Mountain, NC, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last year I crossed the Atlantic aboard the Rickmers Hamburg. This is just one of the many shots I had during the crossing. C&C welcome!

$P9041725-L.webp
 

Attachments

  • $P9041725.webp
    $P9041725.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 79
How do you get to cross on a cargo ship?

Interesting perspective and and cool clouds. Colors are a bit saturated for my tastes.
 
As a snapshot of a memory it's absolutely fine - it could take you back to standing on that deck last year with the smell of the sea, the wind, the sounds, motion etc. As a photograph, well despite capturing some nice golden sunset light from behind you, the rest of the colour looks oversaturated, particularly in the blue tones - maybe a white balance issue or in camera processing as the sea foam looks blue rather than white. The horizon isn't straight as you seem to have levelled the shot for the rail instead. Also the viewpoint doesn't really show anything of real interest as regards the ship itself.
 
I think the view point does actually show something of interest about the ship. You often see this shot taken on cruise ships. I know I've taken that shot from the front of a boat. So it's a bit of a surprise to see that this is clearly a different kind of ship. Plus, it's interesting to see a picture from a cargo ship instead of a picture of the ship.
 
How do you get to cross on a cargo ship?

Interesting perspective and and cool clouds. Colors are a bit saturated for my tastes.

There is an agency (Maris) that can arrange for the crossing on certain lines. I crossed from Philadelphia to Hamburg, Germany. The crossing took 17 days. There were four other passengers on the ship and I would absolutely do it again. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe and this was the first time I did not have jet lag the first few days!

As a snapshot of a memory it's absolutely fine - it could take you back to standing on that deck last year with the smell of the sea, the wind, the sounds, motion etc. As a photograph, well despite capturing some nice golden sunset light from behind you, the rest of the colour looks oversaturated, particularly in the blue tones - maybe a white balance issue or in camera processing as the sea foam looks blue rather than white. The horizon isn't straight as you seem to have levelled the shot for the rail instead. Also the viewpoint doesn't really show anything of real interest as regards the ship itself.

Thanks! I agree the colors are over saturated. The leveled rail against the horizon was supposed to show the roll of the ship. I guess that didn't come through like I had hoped.

I think the view point does actually show something of interest about the ship. You often see this shot taken on cruise ships. I know I've taken that shot from the front of a boat. So it's a bit of a surprise to see that this is clearly a different kind of ship. Plus, it's interesting to see a picture from a cargo ship instead of a picture of the ship.

Thanks. That is kinda what I was going for. This was not a dinner buffet and dining kind of cruise!
 
Ooh, I think I'd like to try that at some point. I've done a transatlantic crossing (Queen Mary) and I agree that a boat is a much less stressful way to get to Europe. I'm sure a cargo ship would be missing some of the amenities that Cunard supplies, but I don't really need a lot. What I remember the most about the trip is not the "luxuries" but the sense of how I was really and truly on a break from everything. I wasn't sure how I would react to being on the water for so long, but it was great. The really attractive part of a cargo ship to me is the "only four other passengers" :)
 
Ooh, I think I'd like to try that at some point. I've done a transatlantic crossing (Queen Mary) and I agree that a boat is a much less stressful way to get to Europe. I'm sure a cargo ship would be missing some of the amenities that Cunard supplies, but I don't really need a lot. What I remember the most about the trip is not the "luxuries" but the sense of how I was really and truly on a break from everything. I wasn't sure how I would react to being on the water for so long, but it was great. The really attractive part of a cargo ship to me is the "only four other passengers" :)

Yes, it is different than the Queen Mary. Here is a link to some of my shots taken while on board the Rickmers Hamburg. Please, don't criticize these shots as most were taken basically as snapshots. :confused:
 
No worries, I wasn't planning to critique them :) (Though am I allowed to say that some are quite nice?)

I think the biggest problem I would have might be the food. I don't eat meat (I do eat some fish, not a lot) and that pig roast probably would have horrified me :( But other than that, it looks really interesting.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom