Right-brain vs. Left-brain?

I don't normally do this, but I'm going to plagiarize myself and quote a blog post (Just five more minutes, Mom. | As a Linguist...) that I wrote a while back that is essentially about this pull between creativity and logic. Y'all should know by now that I'm not out for clicks - I'm just too lazy to paraphrase ;)

(I was writing about being a bit burnt out from teaching and not having much creative thoughts about writing, but it applies to a photography rut as well.)

"What is inspiration anyway? Where does it come from? How do we tap into it? Coffee works for my morning routine, but how can I get myself kick-started in the larger sense?

Inspiration. From the Latin: inspirare, meaning ‘to breathe in’. It meant ‘immediate influence of God or a god’ from circa 1300. Around 250 years later, it referred to the literal act of breathing in air. It took another 300 or so years before inspiration also meant ‘one who inspires others’.

So, maybe some deep breathing will do the trick? Finding a muse?

Sometimes I think that the problem I find with defining – or finding – inspiration is that my mind gets in the way. What I mean is that when I try to reason my way into being inspired, it rarely works. When I stop looking for inspiration and let my mind wander, I am inundated with sparks, epiphanies, and eurekas. That’s all well and good, but it only takes me so far. I still need my rational brain to make something of those flashes, otherwise they float away, back into the ether whence they came.

When the morning fog is still sitting in the twists and turns of my brain, however, letting my mind wander in order to find inspiration often results in falling asleep. Even if I do get an idea, my rational left brain is telling my inspired right brain to shut the heck up because it’s tired and overworked and has yet to get a raise or a Christmas bonus.

In short, my muse is still sleepy and confused, but my ego is disgruntled and apathetic, and the super-ego is on strike.

This post, in fact, was written by a scab."

I'm crap at aural (hearing). If I want to remember something easily, it is ten times easier for me to remember it if I see it written, then if I see some kind of image. If I just hear someone say it? It's gone out of my head in seconds.

LOL I think thats just more of a "Man" problem haha im the same, like if i go to the supermarket I have to get my GF to text me what she wants?

I'm crap at aural (hearing). If I want to remember something easily, it is ten times easier for me to remember it if I see it written, then if I see some kind of image. If I just hear someone say it? It's gone out of my head in seconds.

LOL I think thats just more of a "Man" problem haha im the same, like if i go to the supermarket I have to get my GF to text me what she wants?

Yet another reason, I'm sure, why people online often think I'm a man :)

IMO, to do photography well both artistically and technically requires using both sides of your brain pretty much equally.

Last edited:
Well, I have found the answers to my questions very interesting.

limr, repeated or not, I found your post inspiring. Thank you.

Now, another question. Would you say that the more knowledgable you are about photography and its technical aspects, the more creative you are with your shots?

Last edited:

Now, another question. Would you say that the more knowledgable you are about photography and it's technical aspects, the more creative you are with your shots?

I think so, purely because some things I wouldnt have thought of doing if it wasnt for focus stacking, or longer shutter speeds etc...

I don't normally do this, but I'm going to plagiarize myself and quote a blog post (Just five more minutes, Mom. | As a Linguist...) that I wrote a while back that is essentially about this pull between creativity and logic. Y'all should know by now that I'm not out for clicks - I'm just too lazy to paraphrase ;)

(I was writing about being a bit burnt out from teaching and not having much creative thoughts about writing, but it applies to a photography rut as well.)

"What is inspiration anyway? Where does it come from? How do we tap into it? Coffee works for my morning routine, but how can I get myself kick-started in the larger sense?

Inspiration. From the Latin: inspirare, meaning ‘to breathe in’. It meant ‘immediate influence of God or a god’ from circa 1300. Around 250 years later, it referred to the literal act of breathing in air. It took another 300 or so years before inspiration also meant ‘one who inspires others’.

So, maybe some deep breathing will do the trick? Finding a muse?

Sometimes I think that the problem I find with defining – or finding – inspiration is that my mind gets in the way. What I mean is that when I try to reason my way into being inspired, it rarely works. When I stop looking for inspiration and let my mind wander, I am inundated with sparks, epiphanies, and eurekas. That’s all well and good, but it only takes me so far. I still need my rational brain to make something of those flashes, otherwise they float away, back into the ether whence they came.

When the morning fog is still sitting in the twists and turns of my brain, however, letting my mind wander in order to find inspiration often results in falling asleep. Even if I do get an idea, my rational left brain is telling my inspired right brain to shut the heck up because it’s tired and overworked and has yet to get a raise or a Christmas bonus.

In short, my muse is still sleepy and confused, but my ego is disgruntled and apathetic, and the super-ego is on strike.

This post, in fact, was written by a scab."
you are even more full of it than I am possibly. Either way, im way to shallow to follow this. You appear very in touch with your feelings and edgeuakated. excellent writer as well.

Now, another question. Would you say that the more knowledgable you are about photography and it's technical aspects, the more creative you are with your shots?

That depends greatly on your definition of creativity. There's the whole "Lomography" group, whose soul purpose is to "create" (I use that term loosely) images with as little photographic knowledge as possible, using the worst equipment possible. Since there's technically something coming out of this, it fits the definition of creativity, albeit with often nauseating results.

As for left or right brained... That's tough. I'm fairly logical, but definitely try to be creative. I'm kinda both, but not enough of both to realize I'm horrible at some things. :lol:

I am solidly right-brained (I'm even left-handed). Yet, I'm an engineer by trade, and my life is much more peaceful when it's heavily scheduled and organized. I flail against that organization, however, so it is a constant level of work to maintain both personal peace and creative satisfaction (although that may be the ADD talking, haha). People are shocked that an engineer would be so "artistic", but seriously - as a civil engineer (roads, sewers, creek rehab) I'm very creative - there is constant "out of the box" thinking and rule-breaking. I failed miserably at the structural components of my education, where there is less room to bend.

However, I have no real artistic ability, except to "see" art and beauty, and I have a strong technical bent. For instance, I can appreciate a beautiful painting but I have no ability to paint myself. And I've tried. Where I excel is in technical and material-manipulation arts - yarnworks like knitting and crochet, papercraft (card making and photobooks), sewing, and (not that I excel) newly photography. I also write occasionally and got fairly proficient with flute and saxophone when I was younger.

Creative output is necessary for me to feel whole and happy.

...there are certain activities that cause you to think right brain or left brain.

Architecture school is a mix of hard physics and artistic expression. When I was walking from an engineering class to my design studio I could FEEL my brain shifting over to "creative" mode.

No, it didn't hurt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back