Ring lighting.

ohnoleann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good ring light? I have a Nikon D3000. I have looked onto bhphoto and saw a "polaroid macro led ring flash" for Nikon cameras for $39.99. I don't really know much about ring lights, brands or quality. I am hoping someone can shed some light about them and recommend a good quality one! Thanks!

Leann

That's do-able; do you want an actual strobe, or will an LED/continuous illuminator work? What are you using it for?

That's do-able; do you want an actual strobe, or will an LED/continuous illuminator work? What are you using it for?

i'm not really familiar with lighting, so I am not sure what the difference is? I am just starting out, but I would like to use it for indoor use. More of small objects around, like a vase of flowers and such. Not really for portraits.

For still objects and macro and such, a continuous light is cheapest and will work perfectly well.
For example this $35 LED ring, battery or AC powered, can control the sides separately, fits on anything since it uses a filter thread system

Amazon.com: NEEWER® Macro Ring LED Light - Works with Canon/Sony/Nikon/Sigma lenses: Camera & Photo

A little bit of sandpaper on the white plastic shield would probably help diffuse the light a bit more. Don't like that you can see the individual LEDs inside. But minor issue.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Continuous ring lights, such as this model are suitable for static objects where you can use longer exposures (because of depth of field considerations, close-up and macro photographs are often taken using small apertures, f11, 16, etc). This is a strobed unit, suitable for moving subjects (insects, small animals, people, etc), and promises full TTL (Through the lens metering), however I'd be a little sceptical of the quality. When purchasing a ring light, ensure that it comes with, or you order the appropriate adaptor ring to attach to whichever lens(es) you intend to use it on.

The concern I have with that one is that it doesn't seem to indicate that the LEDs are dimmable, rather that turning half of them off is your only control. I don't find using LEDs as a "flash" to be very effective. In short, it will do, but there are better options for not a lot more money.

The concern I have with that one is that it doesn't seem to indicate that the LEDs are dimmable, rather that turning half of them off is your only control. I don't find using LEDs as a "flash" to be very effective. In short, it will do, but there are better options for not a lot more money.

Thanks so much for your honesty! I am looking into the two that you showed me! Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your honesty! I am looking into the two that you showed me! Thanks again!

I have been looking at the Neweer Brand of Ring Lights. The NEEWER® Macro Ring LED Light is inexpensive (~$35) and the Newer JY-670 (~$83) is still reasonably priced. Both allow independent left and right "half power" where one side is fully on ..... but I don't think either of these ring lights allows independent control of the brightness of the left and right side of the light.
I really think this independent control is important to doing a good job with your primary and fill lighting
Any one know of a good inexpensive ring light that allows independent control of the brightness on the left and right sides -- so you can totally control your primary and fill lighting?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back