Risso's Dolphins

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw these out by West Anacapa Island in the Channel Islands National Park near Los Angeles.

We had already seen a large pod of common dolphins as seen here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/350137-breaking-glass.html

The common dolphins move fast. These Risso's dolphins were quite large and moved slowly in a small group. We thought they were whales, but an internet search closer to shore helped ID them.

Per Wikipedia, they are the largest of the dolphin species. They are quite common, though they prefer deep water (which, I suppose, is why no one I know has ever heard of them). They start out grey, but become more white as they age. They pick up markings apparently from social interactions.

We were under sail with very poor winds at the time, so I couldn't follow them and they seemed quite disinterested in us.

Enjoy,

Desi

Risso's dolphin by Desi595, on Flickr

Rissos dolphins by Desi595, on Flickr

Wow! Beautiful! The markings look like they were drawn there by some pre-historic tribal artist.

I was thinking the same thing as Brian...it looks like the markings were drawn art. Such gorgeous animals. Awesome photos!

Save the dolphins! Boycott sea world (sorry had to ;) )

Very interesting and a fantastic experience to see such rare animals. Considering those markings are quite striking and almost appeal to a tribal feeling and mythology I'm very surprised I've not heard of them more often.

They are quite common in Monterey Bay, CA. I've seen them several times, and they are very common during whale watching tours. The markings are from squid tentacles, one of their favorite foods. Must be pretty tasty to put up with all of the scars they leave behind!

They are quite common in Monterey Bay, CA. I've seen them several times, and they are very common during whale watching tours. The markings are from squid tentacles, one of their favorite foods. Must be pretty tasty to put up with all of the scars they leave behind!

Oh cool....Squid!!

Most reactions

Back